||Control||

I ran a hand down my face in frustration as I walked away from the portal door

I ran a hand down my face in frustration as I walked away from the portal door. It took everything within me to not run after her and pull her back into my arms, where she belonged.

I hated that I had to let her go. My most precious gift should be by my side, under my care and protection. Instead, she was in a whole other world, the farthest she could be from me.

I don't know how long this arrangement can work. My mind isn't strong enough to withstand the pain that could ensue from her distance. I know that it would consume me, he would consume me.

Usually, my kind are masters of darkness, we revel in the heavy shade that cloaks our inner demons. But I've always been at the mercy of my other half, the antithesis of control.

The king never liked that. He wanted a puppet, someone predictable and easy to mould. Gods forbid if anyone found out about his eldest son— the one he didn't have a handle on, the unstable one.

My existence would lead to his revolt.

"Your highness!"

My mouth formed a scowl as I heard one of the servants call after me. One of the trusted few that knew my true identity.

"Y-your highness—"

"What? What is it?" I exasperated while bringing my steps to a halt.

The servant, that being a boy perhaps a few winters my junior, appeared startled at my tone and bowed his head as he stammered a reply.

"T-the King requests your attendance in the dining hall, m-my Lord."

I clenched my jaw in annoyance. I had forgotten about the family's little charade.

"Right, well lead the way then."

I gestured in the direction and the boy seemed relieved that I hadn't given much of a protest.

But when he still stood there, seemingly in shock, I rolled my eyes and walked ahead, leaving him behind.

"F-forgive me, my Lord! My mind tends to wander..."

The servant boy had jogged up to briskly walk slightly ahead of me while he still murmured nonsense under his breath.

I almost rolled my eyes once more but resisted, knowing that my behaviour in this castle hadn't garnered me the best of reputations.

A few turns and minutes of walking later, the boy was opening one of the obnoxiously tall doors to the dining hall.

I heard animated chatter behind the burgundy frame but surprisingly I walked into silence. Aren't they a subtle bunch.

"His Royal highnesses, Prince Azrael—"

"Is that really necessary?" Ronan interrupted the servant with an annoyed twitch of his jaw.