twenty-two

After placing one of the last bags of her and Mando's supplies on the transport, Kasia turned back to face the rest of the village with a frown, sulking slightly

After placing one of the last bags of her and Mando's supplies on the transport, Kasia turned back to face the rest of the village with a frown, sulking slightly. It was time for them to leave, but truthfully, she was not ready to go. She loved it here, amongst the flowers and the trees and the breeze which flowed through the leaves like a restless sea. She loved the laughter of the children and the constant hum of conversation among the adults. She loved it and she was going to miss it.

"Are you sure you don't want an escort?" Cara asked, raising a brow as she sauntered up to them from the crowd. At the sight of her, Kasia's heart squeezed; this was another thing she was going to miss desperately. In the years since her people's demise, she had so rarely had friends—true friends. Kasia didn't want to leave her.

"I appreciate the offer," Mando began, placing another of his bags on the back of the transport, "But we're gonna bypass the town and head right to the Razor Crest." As he finished, he turned away from the transport to face Cara.

At his words, Kasia crinkled her noise. "Great," she muttered under her breath, crossing her arms. "Back to the Razor Crest."

What do you have against my ship? Din asked her silently in what, for his sake, Kasia took to be teasing accusation.

She grinned cheekily up at him. "Besides the fact that it's old and looks like it's going to fall apart if I accidentally step on the wrong part of the floor? Nothing," she muttered lowly so only he and the child could hear. She smirked when the kid seemed to coo in agreement.

"Well then, until our paths cross," Cara replied to Mando, oblivious to the quiet conversation that passed between Kasia and the Mandalorian. She stepped forward and held out a hand in an odd bro-shake-thing.

Mando clasped her hand and nodded, "Until our paths cross."

After a moment, they both released the other's hand, and Cara turned to Kasia. Without a word, the girl stepped forward and enveloped her friend in a hug.

"I'm going to miss you," Kasia mumbled into Cara's breastplate, causing Cara to tighten her grip on Kasia.

Finally, she released Kasia and took a step back, bringing her hand to rest on the shorter girl's right shoulder. "I'll miss you too. Anytime either of you are in the area, let me know," Cara instructed both of them with a smirk.

She squeezed Kasia's shoulder once before letting go and walking away.

Look after Mando and the kid, Kasia heard Cara call out to her silently as she walked away. Try and keep them out of as much trouble as possible.

Kasia started slightly at the words—she knew that Cara knew that Kasia was one of Mando's bounties. The idea that she thought Kasia would be in a position to keep Mando and the kid out of trouble... Still, not wanting to get into any heavy topic or debate, Kasia merely nodded at the woman's retreating back.