Chapter 36: The Other Girl

- a year ago at the Palace -

"Father why did you call me in?" Cassien looked at his father who was sitting at the front of his desk.

"Cassien we need to discuss your engagement partner to the public in a couple of months. In December you will come of age and you will need someone to escort you during your Debutanté."

"What!" Cassien said annoyed, "Look just forget about it. There's no point in me being engaged to someone especially with how busy I am."

"Well me and your mother chose a couple of candidates already. Why don't you take a look at the list we compiled—"

"I don't want to."

"You are acting like Peter, Cassien." The Emperor furrowed his eyebrows, "It's important for you to have someone by your side because the public needs to know who in the future will run Valentino alongside of you. Just take a look at the list."

Reluctantly Cassien looked at the girls and their description in the file. It was almost like a dating app, except in real life.

"Something we were thinking is that maybe Ariana Trinity might be a good choice for you? What do you think? Though, there are also other girls, I believed Vivian Castillo is also there."

"No not Vivian, trust me father she isn't suited for it." Cassien kept flipping through the pages and he didn't like any of the girls. It wasn't because of their qualities written down, but it was because he genuinely didn't feel anything for any of the girls in the files, "You should just give up I'm not going to pick anyone."

"Cassien this is the first time you are going against me. Understand that this is your duty as the future Emperor, when you take that Oath on your birthday you have signed a contract." The Emperor said in a frustrated tone, "You say you are not compatible with anyone, but you haven't even tried it out. I can't just get you the perfect girl in your eyes if you are not open to being open-minded. Who do you want me to choose? Your old childhood friend Lyrica?" He joked, but when he looked at Cassien's friend he looked a bit hopeful.

"Why don't we just do that?"

"W-Wait a minute." The Emperor composed himself again, "You can't just pick her. It will be controversial since she hasn't been in the Royal society for nearly ten years at this point. Lyrica doesn't have a clue about royalty and any of the rules. If you throw her into it, Cassien it won't look to good on her or you."

"Well I don't believe I'm compatible with any other girl on here."

"Well what about Ariana you both are close friends too?"

"That's mainly because of school since she's a part of the school council with me and Grey. She's a friend, but we aren't that close to each other in my perspective. I think Lyrica will make a good candidate."

"What makes you think so?"

"Do you remember when she was little? She was one of the brightest daughters of an aristocrat back then, intelligent, caring, active, she had all the qualities to be a leader."

"That was back then—"

"And I'm confident that she will be able to do it now as well. Even if her memories are gone I'm sure her instincts from ten years ago are still there." Cassien said with confidence, "The Late Duchess was from the States as well? Even though the public doubted her, many people said she was the greatest Duchess of her time. I want to put my faith into Lyrica."

The Emperor closed his eyes to give it some thought. He knew that bringing Lyrica could mean bringing her into the the mess of their world. He could also tell the true meaning as to why Cassien chose Lyrica despite it being a risk.