She Flinched

Warning this chapter may be the reason I may have to mark this book as mature. Thanks. You have been warned.

TW: Abuse

Whites POV

My little Stardrop saddened after I asked her. "Are you alright?" "trauma." "a girl your age shouldn't have trauma." "look at Steven." "Steven is a gem-human hybrid he isn't a normal human." I looked at her with concern as she laughed weakly. I reach up to push a piece of her hair out of her face, and as I do so she flinches. When she realised what she had done she turned onto her other side so her back was facing me.

"Why did you flinch?" She refused to answer or look at me. "Why did you flinch!?" She made the saddest sound I had ever heard from her. "Sorry Stardrop, I didn't mean to shout." I sighed deeply. "I'm not angry at you I'm just..." "Upset?" "I'm the furthest thing from upset at you... I'm concerned for you." She turned back around to face me and I see the tears running down her face. I gently hold my hand near her cheek and she cautiously leans in.

I gently wipe away her tears with my thumbs. "Do you want to tell me?" She slowly shook her head. "That's alright Stardrop. You can tell me when you're ready." She whimpered as she held her hand on top of mine on her cheek. "White?" "Yes?" "Why did you call me Stardrop?" I froze for a second. "Are you alright?" "Yes, I just like the nickname for you." She giggled a little and it was such a relieving sound.

"You know what this means right?" "I don't know, what does it mean my little human?" "It means I have to give you a nickname." "Oh stars!" "What?" "If it's anything like Stevens names for me I'm going to hate it." "Really?" "Yes! I swear if that boy calls me lightbulb one more time." She laughed. "I can assure you; I am not a lightbulb." "Well~."

I faked a pained gasp. "Well then, since you obviously don't appreciate me and all my glory I will go and spend the night with the others." I got off of the bed and pointed my head toward the ceiling. "Oh, come on your old rainbow, sit down. You know you want to~." "Your sweet talk has no effect on me, woman." "Uh huh. Then why is face turning pink?" "It's cold in here." "Yeah~ just sit down."

I sat down but pretended to not look at her which made her laugh. I gently grabbed her waist and pulled her down onto her back with me. "Now that's the (y/n) I know." She gently sighed as she leaned on my shoulder. "Are you alright now?" "Yeah, I'm fine." She looked up at the ceiling. "You called me rainbow." "Yeah, I think it's a perfect name for you." "How so?" "Your gem holds all the colours of the rainbow in it and you have a colourful personality." "A colourful personality?"

She shrugged and I wrapped an arm around her waist. "White." I hummed in response. "I'm not ready to tell you the full story but here's parts of it." "It's alright, as long as you're comfortable." "Not really, but I need you to stop worrying so... Yeah." "Alright, I'm listening."

"I had a boyfriend." "You had a boyfriend?" She tried to smile. "White. I know you're trying to make me feel better but I would like to get through this as quickly as possible." I nodded. "Right, my boyfriend. When we first started dating last year everything was fine until about two months in." I grabbed her hand when I noticed the change of tone.

"He would start picking fights, breaking rules and getting angrier every day." She grabbed my hand as well. "Naturally I would cover for him but my dad was becoming upset as my grades were slipping. So, he told me to stop covering for him. With how angry he was becoming I was scared to see what would happen if I didn't. Until one day." She had started crying so I gently wiped away her tears.

"One day I had had enough. I told him I wasn't going to cover for him anymore and that we were done. When I told him he um...?" She had started full on crying so I pull her into my chest and she wraps her arms around my neck ever so carefully. "To spare the details I had to spend a weak in the hospital." What did he do!? How can someone physically cause someone that much pain!? She had started sobbing so I gently held her until she could continue.

"It was later found out he was depressed and on drugs. He was taken to a mental hospital two months ago. I know he's gone but every single night I have this nightmare if him coming back and the damage he could cause." I pulled her away from my chest and looked her dead in the eyes.

"(Y/n) I can assure you I would never. Never. Do anything like that to you." She looked so vulnerable when she looked at me. I kissed her gently. "You're safe with me." She smiled as she held my hands in hers. "Thank you White." "If it makes you feel safer, I can stay with you tonight." "Thank you. That would be nice." After a while of her explaining how to sleep she fell asleep in my arms. Right then I knew that she was special and needed to be protected.

I was going to protect her with everything I had.