Chapter 40

Shoving my things into my bag I stare blankly as my body moves in auto pilot. My hand stops when I see pictures poke out of the bottom pocket. Pulling the glossy paper out a sad sigh escapes my mouth 'Were all going to die there's no use gettin worked up about somethin that ain't happened yet' dad's words surround my thoughts as I stare at the picture of him in the car.

Pulling the other picture from behind it my jaw tenses at the resemblance of me and the man in the photo. "They're both dead" I mumble to myself shoving the pictures back into the pocket before standing up and pulling the bag over my shoulder. Walking out of the room I skip down the steps, walking past carls cell I stop and watch as he puts ricks sheriffs badge into his pocket. Quickly turning away I begin walking again towards the door stepping into the cold.

Rick watches my moves from the middle of the yard, putting my bags into the trunk I walk around and meet his somber gaze. His eyes quickly travel to carl and michonne walking out "Carl" he says reaching out to his son who pulls away from him and walks by me to put his things in the back. I softly clear my throat before walking back into the building and running up the steps to my cell and grabbing my bat nestled in the corner.

Walking out I stop when rick walks standing by the perch already looking at me. Walking towards him he turns around and walks to the steps pausing at the top "We're ready" michonnes voice echos In the cold blank room. He walks down the steps glancing at me "The deal governor offered about me you had to think about it, you had to I get it." I stand at the top of the steps watching rick and michonne walk towards the door "Yea I'm sorry I came real close" my jaw tenses at the words.

"But ya didn't" michonne responds and I take a breath in as the realization that rick never changed and my dad was the one who did it on his own fill my head. Taking a refreshing breath in I take slow steps down the stairs my feet tapping on the metal "I never thanked you" I grab my bat tighter when my feet hit the concrete "For what" he says his voice rough as he looks behind them towards me. Holding his hand out slightly I walk faster sliding my cold hand into his warmish calloused ones. With a small smile he shuts the squealing gate "For getting me out there that day, taking me in" we stop standing in front of her.

"Well if you didn't have that baby formula I wouldn't have" rick rasps rubbing his thumb over my knuckles. "You could have just taken the formula" she remarkes and I look up at rick as he clicks his tongue slightly "Well I would have if I didn't have a bit of persuasion." Rick says and michonne looks at me a small smile already on her lips "You know it was carl who made the call, he said you belonged here." Rick rasps and I take a small step from behind him "Your one of us" I assure, her eyes moving from mine and ricks before walking off with rick and I a couple feet behind her hand in hand.

Standing in the middle of the yard we review our plan again Beth hershel carl judith and I stay in the woods with the car. Daryl michonne carol and rick stay in the prison in the generator room while glenn and maggie shoot at them while they run out. "Don't shoot the civilians only aim for the governor are we clear on that" rick says firmly leaving no room for a discussion. Nodding our heads we get in the car while everyone else disperses "Mal" looking at hershel I hold up my hand before shutting the door.

"Yea" I say softly walking up to rick "I'm sorry about your dad and if you need time I get it-" "I don't need time from you rick it was his call." I cut him off with a sad smile at the end "Be careful" I say softly pecking his stubbled cheek before he jogs inside. Quickly turning around with a warming face I run to the gate opening it and letting him drive through before shutting it and running to the passenger side and jumping in. We drive down the road to the woods and make a u-turn till we're facing the prison about half a mile away.

We wait for about an hour till we see their trucks speed up the driveway "Malice" looking in the back seat beth holds out judith and I take the whining baby. "Shhh it's okay everything's gonna be okay" I coo trying to calm the child down, carl hershel and Beth get out of the car and hide behind a bush. "I would sing to you but I'm no-" I jump when a boom resonates from the prison followed by a cloud of black smoke.