66. Waiting game

AIDEN

The hours after we found out Riley's location were excruciating- we knew where she was, but we couldn't just dash there and rescue her, which made Blaze and me extremely anxious and rather angry. I wanted nothing more than to get to her and hold her in my arms again, where she was going to be safe and protected. But it would have been reckless to do so- I could not afford to risk the lives of those helping us, nor that of my mate.

Instead, I had to wait for Victor and Seraphine to work with some of their fellow warlocks on a way to break Caleb's magic around Markolf's hideout. No one warned me that it was going to take them that long though.

As the day dragged on, I tried to keep myself busy by visiting my clan. Cyrus was still missing and some thought that he had done a runner and abandoned the pack. Jason, the new Beta, had stepped in as acting Alpha, which reassured me because he was a reasonable guy who had the pack's interest at heart, unlike the official Alpha. Jason even agreed to help as much as possible with the mission to get Riley back and destroy the cambion.

Flying back to the Windcrest packhouse allowed Blaze to calm down a bit, even if the satisfaction from being let free to spread his wings and soar in the sky was not enough to make up for the absence of our mate. Still, there was something soothing about being up in the air, flying amongst the peaceful clouds.

I miss her, Aiden, he muttered as we descended towards pack's estate.

Me too, buddy, me too.

I just about managed to put some clothes on after I shifted back to my human form when Seraphine and Victor appeared next to me out of the blue. I had no issues with being naked around others- I was a shifter, after all- but, honestly, I was relieved that my mate's parents did not teleport minutes earlier as it would have made for a very awkward encounter.

"Ah, Aiden," Victor's eyes were sparkling as he turned towards me excitedly. "I'm happy to find you here. We have it!"

My heartbeat quickened at the idea that we could finally make our move and save my mate. "The counterspell?"

"Indeed," her father retorted, "but what's more, me and a few warlock friends paid that island a little visit. A recon mission of sorts. Undetected, of course- I would never jeopardise my daughter's safety."

I looked at the warlock surprised, although, beneath the surface, my feelings were rather mixed. On the one hand, I was pissed off that Victor had made that call without consulting Rafe and me, especially as we both had to hold ourselves back from getting to that damn island as quickly as possible- ahead of everyone else- precisely because of Riley's safety. Yet, on the other, I was impressed that the warlock seemed to have pulled it off and, what's more, he perhaps gathered useful information.

"Let's get inside to meet the others- everyone will want to hear what you have to say," I motioned to the Boswells and we slowly made our way to the pack's strategy room, which was the fancy name for what was, essentially, a board room.

"Has anyone checked on Scarlett, Riley's best friend?" I heard Callum ask as I entered the room. "Markolf might decide to go after those that Riley cares about, and Scarlett would be an easy target. Maybe we should keep an eye on her."

"I doubt they are interested in the human, Andrews," the Redtails skulk Alpha replied, rolling his eyes, which was met with an angry growl from Callum's side. "Speaking of checking on people, how is the lovely Natalia doing, Rafe?"

My best friend's face stiffened at the mention of his little sister. Nat was still safe and sound in Izaver but that didn't help Rafe feel calmer, especially with her mate not having been identified yet. "She's fine. Visiting some friends so she might be there for a while. The change of scenery is good for her and she is protected there."