023. cherished memories

( 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚'𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 )
twenty three.『 CHERISHED MEMORIES

MEMORIES WERE IMPORTANT TO INDIGO MARSH

MEMORIES WERE IMPORTANT TO INDIGO MARSH. She treasured them, the happy ones with every inch of her soul. Not the fearful ones filled with blood and horror created by her games. But the beautiful ones that made life bearable. Without those memories, she wondered if she would ever survive. Staring out at Panem, she watched people celebrating. Fireworks lit the skies like never before, and people were out dancing on the streets, ready for what was to come, unlike the inhabitants of those in the center.

Two Months Ago
❛ ━━━━━ ⚬ • ✿ ✧ ✿ • ⚬ ━━━━━ ❜

Indigo paced anxiously, biting her nails. This was the first time in months that her mind hasn't been focused on the slowly approaching Games, inching closer and closer with every day that passed. Up until this moment, that's all that her thoughts were plagued by. Her nightmares had gotten worse since the announcement, and the closer they crept the more she rolled in bed. The more she felt the need to settle things left unsaid or unresolved. There was a girl in District Five, who'd asked her as a guest to dinner one time she'd never attended, and the need to now was strong.

But now was no time for unpaid debts or to worry about dinners.

She was waiting outside. It was dark. The stars shined brightly overhead. She wasn't allowed to go inside.

See, the thing about childbirth was it was never easy. Like that was debatable. Even with access to the best care in Panem. Surely, those in the Capitol were sedated and drugged, losing that precious moment of life. The birth of a soul that would most likely occupy your life for the rest of it. And while childbirth was considered a beautiful moment, it still came with pain and didn't always work out as planned.

It was considered bad, as Indie learned, for Victors to be in the same room as someone giving birth, although many aging victors had done so. Some, could. Others, those considered with less of a stomach, could not. And Indie couldn't stomach the screams of her sister as she gave birth to her nephew. She felt useless standing to the side, unable to end the pain she knew was only natural. It made her feel sick and she had to lean against something and focus on not throwing up with every scream heard.

Stephanie had promised her that she wasn't weak, and it was okay to not want to listen to it. She promised that she would, currently inside the house along with the nurses and doctors and her brother-in-law and sister. She promised that Katherine would be okay, and Indie know that that was only reasonable. Katherine and the baby would be okay. That was all that would ever matter.

Freda, Isaac, Zach and Lawerence (one of Katherine's friends), all sat outside, Freda trying to calm Indie down, but it was no use.

It felt like hours before Stephanie stepped out, eyes landing on Indie immediately and she stopped her pacing, looking pale as she looked at Stephanie, who suddenly broke into a wide grin. "Don't you want to come say hello to your nephew?"