chapter eighteen

chapter nineteen: the emperor☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

     All the stories of Sheev Palpatine told of a courageous man from Naboo who stood up to the Senate of the Republic and single-handedly changed the galaxy for the good of its people. I had always imagined him as tall, proud, and even somewhat handsome, but as I stood in front of him, I saw nothing but a wasted, old man who looked as if he were in the last stages of his life. Maybe if I blew really hard, he'd have faded away into nothingness, and this war could have been over.

     The Emperor sat on his throne, glaring me down. As his yellow eyes seemed to search my inner soul, I shivered. Despite his fragile appearance, it was clear that this was a man of power. After a moment, the frail emperor stood to his feet and closed the distance towards me. I squirmed slightly, but Darth Vader's gloved hand laid harshly on my shoulder, not allowing me to move even the slightest inch forwards or, in my case, backwards.

     "Young Soyara, I'd say an introduction is in order, but it seems as if we've met before," he chuckled to himself.

      I clenched my jaw to keep myself from saying anything I would regret, deciding to look around the room for Darth Malevolence. It occurred to me that if both Vader and Paplatine were here, then so would the Sith apprentice. The Emperor noticed my glances around the room, almost immediately picking up on who I was searching for. "He's not here, poor child." I tried to look unphased, but I felt my heart sink slightly. He may have not been my Luke, but I had to admit that his presence still held that same comfort of home.

       Suddenly, the holotable behind the emperor came to life as a familiar voice rang out, loud and clear, "Citizens of the Empire,"

      Without warning, the holo-display switched on to reveal Darth Malevolence on a decorated balcony, addressing a rather large crowd, stretched out as far as the holo could show. He wore thick black robes with a flowing cape that matched that of his father's with his blonde hair neatly combed out of his eyes. I subconsciously found myself walking over to the holotable just to be closer to him, even if he was a million parsecs away.

"Today marks the 21st annual Empire Day. Twenty-one years ago, our gracious Emperor Sheev Palpatine dissolved a corrupt and dysfunctional Senate who had become so twisted in its ways that it no longer served the people of this galaxy. In its downfall, the Galactic Empire was formed. For 21 years, we have labored and fought to preserve security, stability, and above all, order. We have brought peace to our planets and given them new-found purpose." His smile exemplified pride.

I shook my head in disbelief. How could the man who inspired so many systems to see the true destruction and manipulation of the Empire possibly feel pride in spreading propaganda that keep the galaxy enslaved and in constant turmoil?

"However, there are those who would see this progress and call it tyranny. Unfortunately, these same people are fighting to destroy all that we have long suffered to build. I understand their frustration, as I was once one of those people, but I now see what I refused to see as a childish dreamer and what they still choose not to see, order. Only by bringing order to the galaxy can we be united, as brothers and sisters of the Empire."

He paused for a moment, a look of unease flashed across his face briefly before he continued, "Today, I'm calling for the Rebel Alliance to lay down their arms, to lay down their pride, and to cease this ongoing struggle before this galaxy is once again war-torn by an unnecessary galactic war. Let today be a day of healing, of unity, and of coming home. Long live the Empire!"

The holo flickered and shut off, leaving the room in an eerie silence. My mind was racing at lightspeed, trying to process all that Darth Malevolence had said. He publicly renounced the Rebellion, which was a crippling blow to us already, but even worse, he called for a cease-fire. To most politicians and common folk, that sounded like a reasonable choice, but those within the Rebellion knew that a cease-fire was just a decorative way to declare an Imperial victory. Not only would we be disbanded, but it was more than likely that the Empire would once again find an obscure loophole that wasn't previously there in order to wipe us out for good. How long had they built the Death Star underneath everyone's noses? How long would it take for them to resume their enslavement of the galaxy? Who would be there to stop them when they did?

      I turned to the Emperor and his right hand man, "If you truly believe the Rebellion will bow down to you and call it a 'ceasefire', you're wrong. You take and take from this galaxy without the slightest bit of remorse, and finally, the people are standing up against you, against this enslavement! We won't back down, not until the galaxy is free from you Imperial scum-"

      As I spoke, the Emperor laughed. It echoed up in the rafters and back down to where I stood, causing the hair on my skin to rise uncomfortably.

     "Stop." I murmured softly. The unsettling sound continued to echo as I shook my head and repeated louder, "Stop."

      His laughter ceased as he noted the shakiness of my voice. He glanced from Vader to me before speaking, "She reminds me of you, Vader, before you knew the true, liberating power of the dark side." Vader turned to his master as if he disagreed. However, before he could voice his opinion, the Emperor continued, "My dear child, you honestly believe yourself to be a Jedi, but your passion and your anger fuels you. Perhaps you aren't the Jedi you claim to be, just like your precious Luke once believed he was. I assure you that this will pass. One day you will understand, but for the sake of my apprentice, I would hope that day should come sooner than later."

     With that, the older man walked back towards his throne, no longer concerned with me or Vader's presence. He had me right where he wanted me, doubting my identity as a Jedi and fearful for the safety of my friend. As Vader escorted me back to the detention center, I battled with myself. I am Soyara, a Rebellion pilot and a Jedi... I couldn't finish the phrase Jedi Knight. I wasn't a Jedi at all. I fled from my Jedi training after I lost Ahsoka and I had cut myself of from the Force entirely when I was faced with the fear of being caught. A Jedi wouldn't have made such choices. As much shame and guilt as it caused me to admit, the Emperor was right. I was no Jedi.