Chapter 69: Don't Judge Me

Epona's POV:

I sighed, rolling my head over to Hermione. She was working on brewing a potion, but she wouldn't tell me what she was making. The color was like a pearl white with pinkish swirls. She grinned when it was done, then turned to me and cleared her throat. Hermione had tied her crazy curly hair back into a low ponytail, while I had done my own in two dutch braids. 

She moved over a bit, allowing me to stand in front of the cauldron. She then spoke, "Now, I want you to smell this."

I raised an eyebrow at her, "Miss Granger are you trying to poison me?"

She laughed, "No, Effie. Just smell the potion. I'll tell you what it means afterwards." 

I rolled my eyes, then leaned in. I inhaled through my nose, then out through my mouth. It was...well wonderful. It's a grouping of smells that I'm so used to having near me, I miss them. AS soon as I smelled it, the potion turned a beautiful red. Look at that. Draco's favorite color.

Hermione tapped her foot twice, "Okay, what did you smell?"

"I smelled apples, mint and a lemony lime citrus smell. Oh, and something slightly woody too." I spoke matter-of-factly, but still not knowing why I know that smell. It escaped my mind for a moment. 

"Do you recognize that at all? A person or thing? You smell..." She started.

"Draco Malfoy." My eyes stared down at the red liquid, then back up at Hermione, "I smell Draco Malfoy."

Hermione smiled to herself, then cursed slightly, "Well, there's no arguing with Amortentia."

"What?" I asked, my brows furrowed with confusion.

She sighed, "Amortentia is the strongest love potion in existence. When consumed it doesn't create love so much as obsession. But rumor is that whatever, or whoever you smell in it is the person you love the most in the world."

I snorted, "Did you doubt my love for Draco Malfoy?"

She shook her head, "No. I had just hoped... I hoped that it wasn't that git that your soul loves, that's all. Fucking Malfoy-"

"How'd you know?" I joked, and her face turned bright red, her mouth gaping open in pretend disgust.

"EFFIE! Too much information! I didn't need to know that-" She slapped my arm playfully and I laughed.

While laughing I said, "Oh please, like you haven't thought about anything like that about Ronald Weasley-"

She cut me off, her face turning a deep shade of crimson, "Effie, shut up! I-It's not like that at all! Ron and I are just friends-"

I groaned, "Ughhhhhh. You got with Krum to make him jealous, you've pretty much done everything to show him that you like him and he's oblivious. Besides, I already know you've got a crush on him. You told me yourself."

Hermione crossed her arms across her chest, "Whatever, Potter. You're just changing the subject because you know Malfoy is a total dickwad."

"I could talk about how great my boyfriend is all day, Granger. Trust me. One, he's an amazing dancer. I had never danced before, but he helped me gracefully glide across the hall like it was nothing. Two, for our first date, he didn't think about what would make it good for him. He chose everything I like, doing the things I like to do. Three, I'm attracted to cruel arrogant dickwads. Four, he's like a villain, but a sympathetic one. He doesn't just think about himself. Draco is just under a lot of pressure from his father. I can't imagine what it must be like. He has to act a certain way, think a certain way, be a certain way. He didn't even get a childhood. Before he was trained in magic, he was taught how to read and write and count to at least one hundred before he was five years old. Five, he's loyal. Despite you and Harry and everyone else thinking that he's just a snake, he's really not. He's been with me since day one, even when my own brother wasn't. I think if he would just let people in, you'd all love him as much as I do."

Hermione stood there quietly for a moment, then smiled.

"Merlin, Effie. You've gotten yourself in deep for a fifteen year old girl who has been awake for a year and a half."

I grinned, my eyes sparkling, "What can I say? I like the heat."

Hermione groaned, "Gosh, the fire puns never end."

I laughed evilly, "Never!"