Chapter 14 Family Ties (2)

Despite being the leader of the village the boss lived in quite a modest dwelling. Carved into the stump of a large tree. Her abode was shaped into a small hut and had a thatched roof.

The house was quiet, which felt surprising considering the volume of the person who dwelled within. Kotori and Amelie approached it, While Kotori was feeling quite relaxed Amelie seemed to quake in her boots.

As they knocked on the door they heard a curt enter

They opened the door to see the boss at a dinner table. It was enough food for three people. That was when Kotori realized that they hadn't eaten yet.

Kotori and Amelie sat down with the boss and began to have a quiet dinner. The food was very simple, fresh vegetables mixed in a salad and meat from a wild boar that the boss had slain earlier that day.

The silence was unbearable. One could cut the tension in the air with a knife. Part of the reason was that the boss was watching them eat. It was an unnerving feeling, especially when her face did not have it's typical scowl. Rather it had a quite neutral emotion as if she was waiting to hear what they had to say.

Once they finished the meal, which the boss had very little off they stared at each other both parties sat on opposite sides of the table and neither side felt willing to move

"If ya wanna say somethin' just say it," the boss said looking annoyed

[C'mon Amelie you gotta say something] Kotori thought

She gave Amelie a small nudge to encourage her.

Amalie began to tentatively speak.

"Look, Oba..."

The boss raised her eyebrows. Obviously surprised that Amelie wasn't calling her "the boss" and instead of calling her using "Oba"*

* "Aunt" in Japanese can also be used on any older woman in general that you want to speak respectfully to.

"I want to learn to fight," Amelie said

"Denied" the boss replied instantly

"But all the other women in the village learn to fight why can't I!"

"You're too weak," the boss said resolutely

"I don't care if I'm too weak. I want to learn to get stronger!" Amelie said almost shouting.

"You'll hold the others back, what if someone gets hurt because of you"

"I won't hold them back, I'll be very careful. I've been spending time in the ranger corps and I know how to avoid trouble." Amelie argued back.

"No," The boss said

[well this conversation is going nowhere]

Kotori mused in her head

She interrupted their quibbling

"Why not let Amelie learn to fight. She obviously has the determination to do it"

The boss glared at her

"Outsiders and children shouldn't interrupt"

Kotori held her peace

Then Amelie said

"That attitude is why mother left the village"

That statement seemed to strike a chord with the boss.

Her face turned into a snarl

"Asha was weak, that's why she died."

Kotori assumed Asha was Amelie's mother.