Back Home

Because of the poison, my body had been worn out from fighting it off with the antidote. I was too weak to walk, so Steve brought me back to the tower in a wheelchair. 

As soon as the taxi stopped outside of Avengers tower, Nat, Miranda and Ryan were there to hug me and welcome me home.

"Welcome home!" Miranda smiled as she held my hands. 

"Thanks, Miranda. Sorry I left you..." I frowned.

"Hey, don't be sorry. I'm just glad you're alive."

I smiled softly and sighed. "Well...I'm out for a while, so I guess I might as well rest."

"That's a great idea." Nat nodded.

Steve wheeled me inside, Ryan, Nat and Miranda following us. We got upstairs and Tony and Bruce came to us. 

"You look much better, Firecracker." Tony smiled.

"I feel a little better." As soon as I finished speaking, my head began to throb and my eyes blurred. "Nope. I lied, it hurts." I held my head in my hands and leaned forward in pain, nearly falling out of the wheelchair. 

"Alexx, are you alright?" Steve knelt in front of me, his hands on my shoulders. 

I opened my eyes wide and gasped. "Steve?" I looked around at everyone. "What's happening?"

"Alexx, what's wrong with your eyes?" Ryan asked.

"What's wrong with them?" 

"They're glowing blue." Bruce knelt beside me, sounding fascinated. "Has anything changed for you?"

"Yeah...it's like...thermal vision?" I looked at each of them. They all looked like people made of a mild fire. It was kind of pretty. "You guys look like you're made of fire." I looked around. "And it's only you. Everything else looks...grey? Like my vision is really focused on people."

"That's very interesting. Maybe it's another branch of you fire abilities?" Ryan asked.

I shrugged and tried to make it go away. "I don't know how to make it go away..."

"I want to try something." Bruce moved and started wheeling me away. "You're by one of the windows. Do you see anything?"

I looked out in front of me. I could see the window, but it was a bland grey. "Oh, I see those birds over there. They're pretty far." Then I looked down toward the street. "I can see people below us. I...I can see Jess in her cell."

"Don't worry about her. Wow, this is amazing. You can see through walls! I guess I better go add this data to your file." Bruce walked away, going toward the lab.

I closed my eyes for a while and felt it. The power left my eyes and I looked at Steve as I turned back toward the group. "It's gone. I think I know how to use it now."

"That will be a helpful power." Clint said, coming in the room. 

"Yeah, I agree. Though I don't want to use it without having to. There are some things I don't need to see."

"All right, Alexx." Steve came to me and grabbed the wheelchair handles. "I think you should get some sleep or at least rest your body so you can recover faster."

I nodded. "Yeah, that's a good idea."

Steve took me back to my room, Abby following and helped me into bed. "Call if you need anything." He started to walk away, but I grabbed his hand. 

"Please don't leave me." I whispered. 

Steve nodded and sat on the bed next to me, rubbing my arm with his hand. Abby laid beside me and rest her head on my stomach. 

"You're safe now."