7| Summoned

Author's Note:

for all y'all that are like "PSHHH JK FELL IN LOVE SO EASILY" guys this is meant to be a cheesy but also lowkey not cheesy book so ofc there's gon be some cliche love scenes and u know what just because y'all were like oOOoOOoOo ur getting more freaking cliche cheesy ass love scenes in this chapter

also lowkey this chapter is shit sorry lol

-------------------

Jae had just gotten back to her room when Miyoung came rushing in, eyes wide and frantic as she halted in front of Jae.

"He's summoned you," she said, out of breath from speed-walked to the girl's room.

"Woah, slow down there Miyoung. Who's summoned me?" Jae asked, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"The king."

"Oh. Well," she sighed, "we shouldn't keep His Majesty waiting then should we?"

"Don't joke! Come on, let's get going!"

Miyoung hurriedly ushered Jae out of the room and down a series of halls, eventually stopping in front of two massive doors. The doors were engraved with all sorts of carvings depicting the beginnings of the kingdom of Allynth and bordered on all side by rose carvings. Jae wished she could stare at it longer but unfortunately, she had someone to attend to on the other side of those rich, mahogany doors.

"I pray to the gods that nothing bad happens to you once you step through those doors. For what it's worth, after that performance earlier today I think you deserve to win one of those spots," Miyoung said, holding Jae's hands in her own.

"Aw, don't be all soppy with me now Miyoung. But just in case I'm being thrown out, thanks."

Jae didn't wait for a reaction, choosing to turn around abruptly and push through the doors behind her.

The moment she stepped in, she made eye contact with the king, holding it with her head held high until she was no more than ten feet away from the marbled steps that led up to the plush throne. She could make out seven smaller, lower-placed thrones a few steps below the king's, no doubt belonging to the seven princes but she didn't dare break eye contact with the king before her.

She bowed deeply to show respect before looking up once again and saying, "You called for me, Your Majesty?"

At first the king didn't say anything and looked the girl up and down instead. "You are the young lady that has joined the first knights competition?" he said incredulously.

"That would indeed be me Your Majesty."

"Never mind the formalities. You couldn't be more than 20 years old!" he exclaimed, still in disbelief. "How old are you?"

"I turned 18 just a few months ago," she said calmly. Someone sucked in a sharp breath but she didn't bother to look in their direction.

"Even my youngest is 19," the king mused, "And why have you come here?"

"My intentions are purely to participate in the event and win a spot as a first knight. As far as the announcement that was sent out, there was no information stating that women are not allowed to participate."

"Well, you're not wrong. What is your name and where are you from?"

"My name is Lee Jae-Eun and my hometown is Chymal."

"And what of your family? Did they approve of you joining this competition?"

"My family encouraged me to join."

The king hummed. "Well you are aware that nothing will be made easier for you right?"

Jae's lips curled up into a beastly smirk. "Good. After all, I never asked for things to be made easier for me."

The king merely chuckled at her words. "Maybe this competition needs a girl like you. Well, I wish you all the best. You may take your leave now."

"Thank you Your Majesty." Jae bowed once again before turning around and walking out of the throne room, finally loosing the breath she wasn't aware she had held in this entire time.

---

Jungkook couldn't help but let his jaw drop in shock when the girl walked in. He swore under his breath as his eyes took in the hair, the face, the body, and mainly, her molten gold flecked eyes that didn't look his way even once. He hadn't gotten a clear view of her from where he had sat in the stadium during the duels but now, there was no doubt this was the same girl he had bumped into from the market.

He watched her respond to all his father's questions with that stomach-churning smirk of hers, holding herself with the arrogance of the devil himself. He didn't know whether the chills that ran through his body were a sign of fear or hunger for how much more he wanted her.

He begged the gods mentally that she at least glance his way but then again, what good would that do? He had had his face covered when they had bumped into each other and he had caused her to spill her fried banana snack. His fist clenched as he continued to stare at her, deciding that he just absolutely had to get the chance to talk to her.

And just as he wanted, the opportunity presented itself the very next morning. Jungkook was strolling through the rows and rows of rose bushes in the gardens with two of his brothers when he caught a glimpse of that familiar black, braided hair.

She hadn't bothered with a face covering of any sort now that her identity was revealed and was dressed in a loose tunic and top set that allowed her to move freely. And it looked like she was on a run. He knew training hadn't started for the prospective knights yet so that meant she was all alone on her own little training run.

Jungkook felt his heart do a little victory cheer as he deliberately led Taehyung and Jin down a path that would not so coincidentally cross with Jae's. The boys got closer to the unsuspecting girl and Jungkook's smirk only widened before he masked his face with a look that seemed to react to his brother's boisterous argument over whether mango was the most elite fruit or not.

Jungkook's shoulder rammed into Jae's smaller body, the girl not expecting it and staggering back a few steps as she was thrown out of her focused run.

There was a short pause as the boys stopped bickering before Jungkook spoke up. "It looks like we just can't stop bumping into each other."