𝐕.𝐗

BRIAR

Darla had text her family group chat, hoping to God that someone, anyone would answer her texts.

She had heard all their names, but Briar's. She wondered if it was because he didn't get snapped or if she just couldn't pick it out amongst the thousand of others.

Her phone rang and Briar's photo popped up, she quickly answered the call and burst out crying at the sound of his voice.

"D? Are you okay? I was just sat with Mom and Dad and they just disappeared and I-" Briar stumbled over his words. "What happened, D?"

Darla began to cry harder, her whole body shaking as she listened to his voice.

"I'm glad you're okay, Briar." She whispered, her voice cracking with every word.

"Where has everyone gone?" Briar questioned his younger sister. This was the first time in two years that he had even spoken to her. He was scared that she wouldn't answer like usual, but he needed to at least try.

When she went into hiding with Steve and the others, she went completely dark on her family. Which she hated, but knew that it was necessary.

Steve wrapped his arms around the girl as she sat on the bed. They were back at the compound for now, until they figured out how to bring the others back.

Darla laid back and rested her head on his chest, her whole body shaking.

"I don't know." She whispered as Steve's hand cupped the back of her head. "Nobody knows."

Steve placed a small kiss on the top of the girls head. His eyes filling with tears as he did so. He felt so guilty, as they all did. He felt as if it was his fault for Thanos snapping everyone.

"I'm so sorry, Briar, I couldn't save them." Darla whispered hoarsely.

"It's not your fault, D." Briar sniffled, he hated hearing his sister cry. "Nobody else is answering their phones. I called Aspen's wife, she says he's gone."

Darla angrily ran her hand over her face, wiping her tears away. That meant that Isabel was left without her father. She looked across to Steve, she was thankful that he was still here, but she knew that he would feel guilty about it.

"I need to see you, B." Darla whispered. "Can you come to the compound?"

"I'll be there as soon as possible." Briar announced as he ended the call. Darla threw her phone across the room angrily before breaking down sobbing once again.

"Shhh." Steve hushed as he pulled her into his chest and onto his lap. "I've got you."

"This is all my fault. If I had just told you before-"

"It wouldn't have changed anything." Whispered Steve as he lightly rocked the girl, hoping it would calm her. But he didn't miss the way the light blue aura formed around her for a split second before disappearing again.

"It could've." Darla mumbled as she looked up to the man. Her eyes were red from the tears and her lashes almost seemed longer. Steve cupped the girls cheek and wiped away a few tears.

"Has it before?" Steve questioned softly, his blue eyes looking directly into her green ones.

"No." She shook her head, her bottom lip quivering slightly, making a few more tears roll down her cheeks.

Steve quickly kissed them away, tasting the salty tears on his lips.

"We'll figure it out baby, we always do." Steve whispered pressing his head against hers, before connecting their lips.

Darla's hands found their way around his shoulders and threading into his hair. She pulled the man closer to her as she fell back on the bed.

Steve's hand trailed up Darla's waist before trailing up to her jaw and cupping the back of her neck.

"I love you." He mumbled against her lips as she pulled back from him.

"I love you." She whispered as he laid down beside her, he extended his arm and allowed the girl to lay her head on his chest.

His fingers traced small patterns on the small of her back, before he pulled her closer to him. He placed a long kiss on her forehead.

"How do we fix this?" Darla questioned as he pulled her into his chest.

Steve let out a sigh as he linked their hands together. He didn't know how he would have coped if they girl had gone too. He already lost his best friend, he couldn't lose the love of his life too.

"I really don't know." Steve replied honestly. He wouldn't stop until everyone was back where they belonged. He wouldn't abandon them.

"But we'll do it right? We'll bring them all back?" Darla questioned as she tilted her head up to look at the man. Steve was already looking down at the girl.

"Even if our lives depend on it." Steve nodded, pressing his lips against her head once again. "We'll bring them all back."