Chapter 54 - Quite honestly, my mother can sod off, the stupid cow

There's a difference between being liked and being valued. A lot of people like you, not many value you. Be valued.

- Pritesh Lad

"Can you zip me up?" I asked Daphne as I had put on the dress for tonight's party.

"Sure", Daphne mumbled, putting in some earrings. I sucked in as she zipped up the dress in the back.

"What would your mother say about you not wearing a corset dress to a formal gathering?" Daphne chuckled.

"Well quite honestly, my mother can sod off, the stupid cow", I sneered. I never had a good relationship with her, but this summer had taken it to a whole new level and even though I hadn't seen her for four months, the negative feelings hadn't faded one bit. I'd be going home again tomorrow. I was not looking forward to it.

"That's the spirit", Daphne laughed. I put in some sparkly earrings and a silver necklace with small ruby stones. I found the necklace Adrian had given me when looking for one to match this outfit. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it yet. I wasn't sure why I had held onto it either. I hadn't seen or really thought about him since I last saw him at Hogwarts last year. I wondered if his mother had let him back into the house.

"I aspire to be as beautiful as you one day", Tracey sighed, putting her head on my shoulder as she admired my reflection in the mirror. I smiled at the compliment. I did look pretty tonight. Tracey had done my hair up in a bun, a few strands of hair still framing my face. I had put on some light make up and my favourite perfume. And I wore a dress I had picked out myself when going shopping last Christmas. It was bright red and reached above the knee. The side of the top was decorated with embroidered flowers in the same colour and the V-neckline made my necklace shine. The skirt was stiff, but not tight, allowing me to walk freely.

"Please, Tracey, you're a gorgeous woman", I said, pulling her in front of the mirror. Her hair fell loose around her shoulders and her mint green dress was very flattering to her light skin tone. "Blaise is one lucky guy."

"I know, right?" she smirked, twirling around.

"Well, let's go, shall we?" Daphne said. I debated on bringing a jacket to battle the cold December air in the castle, but it would ruin the outfit. Beauty is pain.

"I'll see you both at the party, okay?" Tracey said as she had spotted Blaise on one of the couches in the common room. Before we could respond, she had already reached her date and I could see his eyes lit up as he noticed her presence. I couldn't hear their conversation, but I could imagine Blaise telling her how beautiful she looked. It hurt a little bit.

"Come on, let's go", Daphne said, knowing what I was thinking. I pushed the sad thoughts away and made my way across the common room. I felt the stares burn in my back. Everyone knew about the Slug Club, although very few were actually part of it. The jealousy it incited was probably the only enjoyable aspect of it. Although, I felt like I didn't want people to be jealous of me at this point. Most were already scared, I could do with less negative emotions right now.

"Oh, I'm sorry", I said as my daydream caused me to almost bump into someone on my way out. There was no response, but the person in question didn't move either. I looked up to see that Draco was the person in front of me, of course.

"Don't be", he said softly and I could feel him stare at me. He was barely a foot away and my body ached for his touch, his lips on mine. I hadn't kissed him since halfway October, which was over two months ago.

"Excuse me", I said and walked past him, a really sad feeling consuming me. I missed him so terribly.

"You look beautiful", he said as I walked away, and I forced myself to keep walking.