Chapter 5

Katie's POV:

Doctor Callaway pulled the IV out of my arm, put a small bandage on it,, tossed a dress at me, placed my boots near the bed, and left. I quickly slipped into the outfit and sauntered out into the waiting room to wait for my family.

(A/N: "Intravenous technology was first published in 1883 by Dr. Thomas Latta during a cholera epidemic in Britain. The standard IV use of saline solutions did not begin until 1902. Intravenous therapy was further developed in the 1930s but was not widely available until the 1950s." This was what Google said. Happy reading!)

Momma was the only one who came. She pulled me into a tight hug, a few tears dropping onto my head. "Momma, I'm fine," I sighed.

"C'mon, let's get you back," she pulled me along toward the bakery. "I don't want you working for a bit."

"Momma!" I yelped, stopping in my tracks.

"Honey, I don't want you getting worse!" She explained. "You can do a small bit of baking and/or sit in the dining area."

"Fine," I hissed.

"A few boys were wondering where you were, today. Especially a very cute black-haired boy," she grinned, giving her a side-glance.

I felt my cheeks grow warm, "Momma." She chuckled as we walked in. Dad ran up to me, engulfing me in a warm hug.

"I'm so glad you're okay, Muffin!" He exclaimed, setting me down.

"Thanks, Dad," I smiled. "I think I'm gonna go upstairs." I ran upstairs, throwing myself on my bed and hugging my pillow. "He asked about me."

(A/N: Fun fact, I've actually done this. Just ask Carrie. Lol.)

I squealed, rolling over and closing my eyes. I ended up crying myself to sleep when the realization that I probably wouldn't live long enough to actually be in a relationship hit me. When I woke up, Momma was gently shaking me and sunlight was pouring into the room. "What?" I moaned, covering my head with my pillow. 

"Do ya wanna go see those boys?" She asked, ripping it away from me as she laughed. 

"Sure," I yawned, sitting up. "Gimme a sec and I'll be down." She nodded and left me to change. I quickly threw on a lavender dress and white flats and ran downstairs. 

"They're outside," Dad grinned. "Go get us a paper, please, darling." 

I nodded, pulling a few coins from the tip jar and heading out. Elmer and Albert turned, wide smiles lighting up their faces as the both engulfed me in big hugs. "You okay?" Was Albert's first question. 

"Yeah," I grinned. 

"We's so glad you're back," Elmer cried, pulling me into another hug. 

"I am too. I missed you guys!" I exclaimed, a yawn breaching part of my sentence. Both boys chuckled. 

"We missed ya too," Albert grinned. 

"Can I get a paper from each of ya?" I asked, holding up a nickel for both of them. 

"Y'know," Elmer started, fishing a paper out of his white bag. "You should really be saving that. We don't need that much money." 

"Well, I gotta take care of my boys," I replied, throwing in a playful wink. Elmer smiled, his face growing a bit red. Albert playfully sent me an approving look (A/N: Carrie knows the look. She gives it to me all the time). I felt my face grow warm as I looked down. "Well, I should get back to doing nothing."