Chapterish 40

[Quote Aesthetic of the Chapterish]

...

I'm on the top deck with Meg and Whit, enjoying a pitcher of piña coladas for breakfast of course. Along with fresh-cut pineapple and mangos. I could get used to eating breakfast on a yacht in a matching black sports bra and legging set.

For some reason I stand up and walk to the edge of the deck. I look into the open water and envision this yacht far away from the docks. I envision it bobbing in the sea like some insignificant vessel keeping my dreams afloat.

I zone out as my mind finds its original dark dwelling. It's dawning on me that Brooks and I are in such a different place than every other couple here.

Brody and Lauren, the youngest, are engaged. The soon to be second wedding right behind Trix and Travis. Meg and Nate live together and Whit just moved in with Alex. Meanwhile, Brooks and I are juggling a relationship that spans the entire continental US and is made up on weekend getaways when one of us has time.

"Hey Em." Trix walks across the deck and stops next to me.

"Hey Trix, good morning." I tease.

She tucks a long red curl behind her ear. Her eyes catch mine.

"You're glowing," she says, raising an eyebrow.

"You're glowing," I throw the words back at her.

"I mean it," Trix insists. "You seem really happy, babe."

"I feel it," I say too quickly. It's hard to ignore her obvious eye roll. "What?"

"Oh stop. You may not tell me everything anymore, BUT I still have eyes." Trix leans far over the railing.

"Beautiful eyes," I agree.

"Yeah," Trix laughs. "So don't think I haven't noticed your ring finger missy. A very interesting piece of jewelry you got on."

I can't help smiling at her. I shake the smile off my face and groan. "It's not what it–"

"Seems?" Trix finishes. "OK, good. Phew! So it's not an engagement ring."

I flex my fingers. "It's a precursor. At best."

Trix turns to face me, amused. "Then why do you sound miserable about it?"

"I'm not." I lie.

"Emmeline Lou, I have seen you at your best and your worst. I've picked you up after Brooks dropped you. I've seen it. This," Trix pauses, looking at my hand, "This is different. Nothing can come between you guys. Nothing can separate you. Believe me I've tried," Trix jokes.

"Ya think?"

"Em, if you're telling me Brooks himself tied that around your ring finger, then that's it. A done deal. He may as well have told the entire planet. We all know." Trix rolls her eyes again.

"You all?" I look at her, waiting. "ALL?"

"One hundred percent. We all talk about it." Trix shrugs.

"You talk about it? Bitches," I curse under my breath.

"Hey," Trix says. "All I'm saying is you're glowing. One day that piece of white trash is gonna glow too."

I smirk at Trix and throw my arm around her as we turn from the railing.

I hear the guys laughing their way up the back spiral stairs.

"Already back from their morning swim," Meg says.

"I think they went paddle-boarding in the canal," Whit adds.

Brody emerges first, followed by Lauren. Alex and Nate. Brooks. He comes walking onto the top terrace in nothing but tight swim shorts hugging him in all the right spots. He runs his fingers through his wet hair and slicks it back off his forehead. Lifting his hand exposes the geometric butterfly tat. My eyes fall across his chest as I admire all the others.

I sip on the almost empty colada, gulping it back and ignoring the grin from Meg.

Damn Brooks looks better than ever. I literally can't stop thinking about last night. Would anyone sitting on this deck right now even believe how he acts alone with me? He's so nonchalant and easy-going and I just cannot believe I get him all to myself alone.

Last night... damn. Brooks looked like heaven, tasted and felt like it too. But I knew he was hell. Knew he'd destroy me, but I'd wear it well.

"Hope you ladies are done with breakfast," Alex says, sliding onto the bench next to Whit.

"We just ordered another round. Are you guys finally going to join us?" Whit asks, her almond eyes shining in the light.

"About to sail out," Brooks announces.

"AH! Really?" Trix appears on deck, squealing.

"Really. Cap says thirty minutes," Brody says.

"Sa-weeet!" Alex shouts. "I think a half hour is more than enough for one of these."

Whit pushes the rest of her glass towards Alex just as Jackie drops another pitcher on the table.

Keep 'em coming.

"Everyone got their passports handy? We'll need them when we dock in Nassau," Brooks says.

"I'll collect them," Jackie says, still standing next to the table. "It'll be easier if they see have 10 passports and count 10 people."

"Works for me," Brooks says, shrugging.

I leave the deck with the girls.

Whit and Lauren are discussing their favorite sunscreens and Meg and Trix are deep in discussion about jet-skiing. I'm thinking about which one of my seven new bikinis I bought just for this trip I'm going to put on first.

Twenty minutes later we are all back on the top deck. My cheeks are already rosy; golden freckles materialize on my nose.

I feel the engines rev up levels beneath my feet. The dockhands remove the three-inch thick ropes tethering us to the pier.

"We're off!" Cap shouts below us.

He honks the horn as we pull away from the marina.

Mobile Star is mobile.

The bow cuts across the flat sea like a razor blade cutting into glass. Salt water spews at the front, flying in the wind up to the top deck. Each droplet is a sparkling diamond under the noon sun.

Bahamas here we come.

...

PSA: Sneak peeks, update announcements, and killer graphics found on Instagram 📸