14

"where are you going mom?" a 7 year old luli asked her mother jiao

"where are you going mom?" a 7 year old luli asked her mother jiao. she was putting on makeup and wearing a fancy dress.

"your father has a dinner today, i'm going with him."

"i thought you didn't go to any of dad's business dinners."

jiao put down her tube of lipstick and looked at luli with a sort of sad smile. "i know, but this one is important, and both of us have to be there."

she patted luli on the cheek, but then her hand morphed into a bigger one, that was covered in blood.

the scene had changed to the day he was arrested, five years later.

the day luli's father, wen rong was arrested for the first time.

disgusted, luli smacked his hand away and took a step back, wiping away the blood from her cheek. it mixed with her tears.

rong let out a laugh, before looking luli dead in the eye and said, "you may think you're fine for now, but just know that as long as i'm alive you will always be a disgrace to the wen family."

horrified, luli hid behind her brother, but the scene morphed again and so did he, changing to an older version of himself.

the scene was now when luli was 18, in september 2016. her brother, j, was 19.

they were in an abandoned basement. a woman, jiao, their mother, was tied to a chair, with a bag over her head. j was holding a gun to her head.

"what do you want from us? i've done nothing but follow your orders, what did we do?" luli cried, fighting against the goons that were holding her back.

j cackled, but didn't answer the question. he cocked the gun.

and fired on jiao.

luli shot up in bed, breathing heavily. the nightmares had come back after the day's events.

the outside scene didn't help calm the mood. a thunderstorm had come around. the thunder rumbled violently while the rain poured in buckets. lightning flashed and cracked brightly and loudly every few seconds.

beside her, winwin turned onto his side. she held her breath and hoped she didn't wake him. his quiet snores reassured luli that she didn't.

quietly tiptoeing out of the room to not wake winwin up, luli headed to the kitchen to get a glass of water and calm down. the time read 2:45 am.

i hate this. luli thought to herself while she took a sip of water. she wished that all of the painful memories would just go away, or better yet that they hadn't happened at all. even for just a moment, she wished that she could just forget everything that had happened in the last 14 years.

of course, they didn't. they just rooted themselves into luli's brain even more. luli could hear the voices of her brother, mother, and father getting louder in her head.

fucking bitch!

no one will ever love you.

luli RUN.

i'll kill you if it's the last thing i do.

outside, the lighting struck again. this time, it reminded her of the the gunshots. the yelling. it all came back.

the memories flashed in her brain, as if something in there was fast forwarding to all the bad parts in her life. startled and scared, luli stumbled to the ground and dropped the glass. it shattered loudly, not helping luli's current state.

she was having a flashback, but didn't realize it.

after what felt like forever, but was only about a minute, the memories and images went away. but the feelings didn't. she felt empty, like how she did after the events first happened.

burying her face in her hands, luli lowered her head and began to cry.

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

winwin felt his body jolt awake at what sounded like glass shattering. or maybe it was the lightning outside. maybe it could have been a dream and his brain was tricking him.

whatever it had been, winwin wasn't a fan. he rolled over on his side to see that the spot next to him where luli had been was empty. the realization hit his brain like a speeding truck.

shit, luli.

he threw the covers off of himself, bolting out of bed and the room. the shattered glass sound hinted to him that luli would be in the kitchen.

and she was. on the floor, face in her hands, sobbing. she didn't notice him walk in.

if winwin could, he would've made sure that no of this had happened to her. to take every bad memory and feeling and just flush it down a drain. but life's not that simple.

he crouched down to where luli was, gently placing his hand on her shoulder. she looked up at him, and the look in her eyes broke his heart.

"winwin." she whispered, her voice slightly cracking. winwin felt tears prick in his own eyes.

"yeah, i'm here. it's me." he reassured, looking her in the eyes and holding her face in his hands.

luli leaned forward and rested her head on his chest while wrapping her arms around his middle. winwin wrapped his own around her shoulders and rested his head on hers.

they stayed like that, just being there with each other. after a little bit the two got up and headed back to the bedroom.

their arms still around each other, luli and winwin tucked into bed. winwin felt less worried about luli now that he knew she was right there in his arms.

and for once in what felt like an eternity, luli slept in peace.

≡≡≡≡≡ ≡≡≡≡≡ ≡≡≡≡≡ ≡≡≡≡≡ ≡≡≡≡≡

ew that last line was so cheesy