Chapter 20: Mermaids

"Her soul was too deep to explore by those who swam in the shallow end."

                                                                              -A. J. Lawless

"There."

Your voice came out in a tired huff, arm reaching up to wipe the sweat from your brow as your body straightened out, blue eyes inspecting you work. 

Thomas furrowed his eyebrows at the strange, wooden device attached to his leg. 

"How does that feel?"

You watched with a small smile as he hesitantly bent his knee, flinching out of habit.

His eyes snapped back open as he grew bolder in his actions, taking a small step forward, his hands instinctively reaching for his crutch that you had rested against a small crate. 

His hands shot out towards you as he stumbled slightly, not used to walking without the crutches' support. 

"It's okay," You cooed, watching as he took a few more unsteady strides towards you, the worry on his face slowly morphing into a smile of excitement. 

"I-I'm walking!" He smiled at you, voice cracking. "Do you see me, captain?"

You nodded your head, grinning softly at him.

"You're doing great, kid." You laughed. "But this is just a prototype. If you feel uncomfortable after a while let me know and I'll make some adjustments. Okay?"

He nodded happily, eyes still focusing on the wooden device on his leg that allowed his knee to bend and support him when he needed. 

You rolled your eyes, ruffling his hair affectionately as you walked past him, leaving him to enjoy his new-found freedom. 

Jimin leaned against the wheel of the ship, watching as you climbed the stairs towards him, the wind blowing your h/c locks over your shoulder. 

He'd been watching you try to build that thing for the past three days. His former quarters were filled with drawing and plans of the small brace. You'd built different prototypes, but abandoned them if you thought they may have been too bulky or uncomfortable for the young deckhand.

In the end, you'd settled with a smaller version of the original plan, making it easier for the boy to walk upright without his crutches. 

When he has asked why you'd do something like this for a stranger who was almost certainly a spy for the notorious Bluebeard, you'd just brushed him of claiming it would be inconvenient for you to have to wait up for him in case you were pulled into trouble  

The blue-haired sailor had believed you...until he saw the look on your face when that young boy began to walk.

Your eyes narrowed in suspicion as you took in his gentle smile. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

He shrugged, turning his gaze back onto the ship that sailed in front of you. 

"It's just nice to see you being genuine for once."

You rolled your eyes, pulling out a map from your waist band and placing it on the railing in front of you. 

"If your map is right, we'll be entering the danger zone pretty quickly." You stated, ignoring his comment. "The mermaids will more than likely be the first thing we encountered as they have to have sunlight to survive and the sea only gets darker from this point."

Jimin raised a brow at your comment. 

"Seems like you know a lot about the sea for not being part of it." He mumbled out, propping his elbow up on the wheel. "You sure you're not a siren?"