Chapter 44: Discomfort, Pain, and Sacrifice

Claire's POV

"This can't be, right, Are you sure Keith? Henry?!"

Henry nods his head sadly, still kneeling respectfully before John who is literally vibrating with Anger.

"Your Beta wants my mate so much that he would betray his pack?" John growled. "How did you let this happen, you knew that they weren't mates, you clearly knew his feelings, why did you let him remain close to her?

Keith remains silent, head bowed with his teeth clenched as he stared a hole in the ground.

"ANSWER ME!!" John roared

"John!" I yelled back in return. "Can't you see he feels bad enough? rehashing the past won't do anything but cast blame, the blame belongs to henry and henry alone, Keith doesn't deserve this" I plead as john turns around to face me.

"Claire, there is no need to defend me, this is my fault I knew how he felt but I never thou-" Keith breathes out a sob, shaking his head. As tears begin to fall Sienna rushes over to comfort my brother.

"None of us saw this coming, the Henry we know would never do anything to place this pack in danger, we all thought it was a harmless crush," Sienne says as she crouches beside Keith, "You can't only blame yourself, we are all at fault"

John still stood facing me, his whole body completely tense, I could tell he was waring with himself, trying to stay in control but not really wanting to.

"John," I said softly and reach my hand out to him, "come here, we have more to discuss anyway"

"Tell me why I shouldn't go kill him now Claire, I need you to explain to me why I shouldn't just rip him to shreds as he sleeps"

"Come here and I'll tell you" I gesture for him to come closer, my arm still stretched out towards him.

John rigidly makes his way towards me, walking as if it's taking him all of his strength to put one foot in front of the other. Nick and sienna both get up as John makes his way across the room to where I am standing. Sienna takes a seat on the couch next to Sophie and Noah, while Keith goes to pace behind them.

When John finally makes it to me, grabbing my hand, his body relaxes. He raises his hand to grab me gently around the neck and pulls me closer to him, resting his forehead on mine.

"I need you to be safe and everyone is trying to take you from me" He whispers. He moves my hair from the right side of my face, brushing it behind my ear.

Sometimes I look at John and I just lose my breath, especially at times when he is looking at me the way he is right now, Like I hang the sun, stars and the moon, like I am his reason for everything, like he never wants to let me go.

"I'm not going anywhere John, I'm right here. The rest hasn't happened yet, and probably won't" I said softly, looking up at him.

John breaths out and rests his head in the crook of my neck, "tell me why I can't just kill him now" I absentmindedly begin to comb my hands through his hair as I think up the right words to use to convince him to stay right where he's at, with me. "Because john, We have the element of surprise on our side, and we can use it to our advantage, you know this, don't let anger or fear cloud your judgement, this is the way we have to do this John.

"I know" he mumbles "My wolf is just incredibly agitated at the moment, I'm having a hard time controlling my reactions right now, I'm having a hard time staying in control" John begins to pull away from me, "I think it's a reaction to the poison"

"THE POISON?! What Poison John? and why am I just finding out about this?!" exclaims Noah, pushing himself forward to stand up.

Noah crosses his arms in front of his chest, "Who poisoned you, and is it serious"