Chapter 19

*A sweet friendship refreshes the soul*

*Leah's Pov*

We were walking into S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters and a lot of familiar agents were staring at me and Steve as we walked in. I guess the word got around fast. A S.T.R.I.K.E agent grabbed my arm to turn me to the direction we were going in. I shrugged his hand off of my forearm and he gave me a disgusted look.

"Hey, look at me like that one more time-" I couldn't finish what I was saying because Steve nuged me; signalling me to shut up. I rolled my eyes and we carried on walking.

* * *

We were both brought to a man called Alexander Pierce; personally, between me and you, I hate the man. He is just.....odd. I see him talking to Agent 13....Kate...well, Sharon I mean. Dont know why, but I just don't like her.

"For whatever its worth, you did your best," Alexander said, still facing Sharon.
"Thankyou sir." She turns to me and Steve and says,"Captain Rogers, Agent Harper." I don't even bother to look at her, and I ignore her.
"Neighbour," Steve greeted coldly. I got to say, that made me smile. Didn't know Stevie could get so cold hearted. We both walk towards Pierce.
"Ah, Captain. Agent," he seemed to look at me, like he was trying to read my thoughts or something. Weird man. Never met him in my life and I already despise him.
"Sir, its an honor," Steve said to him, shaking his hand. I just nodded, no emotion. I was basically trying to give him the hint that I don't like him.

"Come on in." I walked in first, Steve behind me, entering his office. The first thing that caught my eye was a picture of him and Fury. "That picture was taken five years after Nick and I met," Pierce started explaining, noticing I was looking at it. He started rambling on about how they met and boring stuff like that.

"He saved the lives of a dozen political officers, including my daughter."

"So you gave him a promotion," Steve stated.
"I've never had any cause to regret it. Captain, why was Nick in your apartment last night?" He asked. My head shot up, thinking Steve would tell him what Fury told us.
"We don't know," I was quick to answer, before Steve said anything.
"You know it was bugged?" He asked.
"We did, because Nick told us," Steve answered.
"Did he tell you both, that he was the one who bugged it?" When we both don't reply, obviously not knowing that info, a slight, hidden, amused look spread on his face. It wasn't very noticeable, but I've been trained to read the slightest facial expressions in my training; during Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D.

"I want you to see something." Pierce brings up footage of Batroc being interrogated. I was confused on why he was showing us this.

"Who hired you, Batroc?" A S.H.I.E.L.D agent asked.

"Is this live?" I question, curiously.
"Yeah, they picked him up last night at a not-so-safe house," Pierce replied.
"Are you saying he is a suspect? Assassination isn't Batroc's line," Steve said, slightly confused.
"Its more complicated then that. He was hired anonymously to attack the Lemurian Star, and he was contacted by e-mail and paid by wire transfer." I looked up at him, trying to figure out where he was going with this.
"The money was run through seventeen fictuous accounts, the last one going to a holding company that was registered to a, Jacob Veech," he finished.

"Are we supposed to know who this is?" I ask sarcastically, getting a glare from Steve beside me. He hands me the folders, Steve looking at it next to me.
"Not likely. Veech died six years ago. His last adress was 14-35 Elmhurst Drive. When I first met Nick, his mother lived at 14-35." I was confused on how this could happen. It can't be Fury, can it?