Shattered

As soon as their lips touched emotions swirled throughout him, encasing his thoughts in pins and needles, embarrassment, loss, humiliation, hatred, shock. It consumed his every thought and cornered his soul, he jumped apart from Sophie as the emotions continued their prowl.

They filled up his insides and he couldn't breathe. His lungs were on fire and yet his skin was melting like ice. An immense headache impeded his vision and he closed his eyes, wishing he could hide away and never come out. But as if lightning had struck his very core the emotions rivaled on inside of him. Giving no rest, no break, no way out. And so he did the very thing he feared most.

"Numb!" He shouted it, a sob in his voice. An angry, wretched sob. Gasping a breath he turned to see Sophie had fallen to the ground. Terror rose up inside him as he rushed forward to help the unconscious beauty, he was only a step away when he jumped back. He couldn't touch her, not when that's what had started all of this.

Horror filled his heart as he pondered what he could do.

This was all his fault.

Sophie was...

Hurt.

Unconscious.

And all because of him.

Finally realizing the solution he lifted her with his telekinesis, running and sobbing as he brought her inside Havenfield and lay her on the couch while he yelled in panic for Grady and Edaline.

~~~

The next few hours were a blur, elves running in and out, Grady staring at him coldly and yet not saying a word as Edaline called Elwin. He remembered bullhorns cries when they took Sophie inside Foxfire. The frantic emotions riveting off of Elwin as he made sure she was breathing. The tears falling from Edalines eyes as Keefe watched helplessly while Grady hailed Tiergren. Ro watched sympathetically in the corner but had also passed by to tell him "he better not leave," and to be perfectly honest he had considering it. But he wouldn't go until he was certain there was nothing he could do for Sophie.

Keefe had, of course, yelled, "Feel," but something wasn't right. In fact in that moment everything felt wrong. And he knew exactly why, his doubts that he hadn't voiced when he remembered. The message she'd left inside his mind once he received his memories back. The things his mother had done before he...

And that's why after Elwin shooed him out the door he went to the Shores of Solace with Ro, knocking over every fixture in sight, and smashing every object he could get his hands on. And after he finished he found himself sifting through the chaos till he was face to face with a drawing.

Foster.

With her blonde curls and alluring brown eyes.

The ones that had captured his heart.

Without a thought he gently set the paper down.

And hardly caring whether Ro came with him he dashed over to the Leapmaster, hearing curses as he glittered away, knowing of the punishments if he never returned.

But Ro didn't have to worry.

Because the only thing he could do when he reached Havenfield was ram his head on the pancakes tree and wish he'd never existed.

Because then Foster would be all right.

She wouldn't be on a cot in the healing center.

She wouldn't be unconscious and losing her will to live.

She would be smiling, laughing, having the time of her life.

But now bullhorns screams haunted his mind, the petals falling softly reminded him of how much he had to lose. That if she was gone nothing would ever be okay. And last but certainly not least, he felt the guilt that came crashing down like a thousand ogres.

He knew he should silence it.

Toss it away.

Rip the guilt from his mind so he could think clearly.

So he wouldn't break.

But what was the point?

The face of a blonde haired elf filled his mind as a tear slid down his face. Her lips were curled into a smile and her nose was wrinkled adorably.

She'd always been the bright side to every situation.

Even if the rest of the world was against him,

Even if his mom was an evil murderer,

Even if his dad had ridiculously high expectations

She was always there.

Sweet and sensible. Feisty and compassionate...

Foster.

Sophie Elizabeth Foster.

That's who he'd hurt.

He'd let his mother control him, an in doing so... hurt the one he loved most.

Earlier she'd been joking around, laughing at his jokes, coming close as he held her tightly.
But now?

She was on a cot, fighting for her life. And what was he doing? Crying. Breaking. Losing sight of any reason to keep holding on.

Because Sophie Foster wasn't just the person he loved.

She was his friend.

And he didn't know what he'd do if he lost her.

If he would even be able to do anything.

He needed her to be okay.

He had too keep fighting for her.

But even so he could feel his mind start to break, shards of memories distorting. Mixed up thoughts vanishing from his mind.

He was losing the battle.

But that's exactly when he heard her voice in his head.

Fight it Keefe.

I know you can.

I believe in you.
~~~