15

CHRISTMAS EVE WAS AROUND THE corner. Siobhán had her younger brother set on her lap. The family function they were invited to was certainly not the most leisure sort of entertainment. He played her fingers as she gazed around the room. Her aunt was laying out the table with a garlic butter roasted chicken as its centerpiece. The mother of the two children seated near the table was setting her chocolate tarts at the far end of the dining plateau.

Dusting her hands on her apron, she approached her children. Siobhán glanced up at her mother who was smiling brightly.

"Dears, why don't you get seated in one of the chairs?" she put her hand out, signaling for two of the chairs placed near the table. Siobhán nodded and set Vinícius on the floor. He quickly ran to one of the chairs and sat.

"Viní, don't dig in until everyone is seated," Siobhán told him while sitting down in one of the seats. He nodded and glanced over to where his mother was standing. She was looking at the two proudly.

"Your cousins will be here shortly." she placed her hands on her hips and leaned against the doorframe. Her husband stood next to her, observing the table full of delicious foods.

Doors opened and closed, making the family of four turn their heads over to the main center of noise. Siobhán's other aunt made an entrance singing Christmas carols. Siobhán groaned and put her hands on her face, not wanting to look at the scene any longer.

"We wish you a Merry Christmas, we wish you a Merry Christmas, we wish you a Merry Christmas." her aunt sang sweetly. "And a Happy New Year."

Her cousins immediately went towards her. The oldest cousin, Adelaide, was 15. The second oldest, Ophelia, was 13. Finally, the youngest. Her name was Elizabeth and she was just as old as Vinícius.

"Siobhán!" Adelaide came from behind and hugged her. She clutched her hand on top of her cousin's arm. Patting it softly, they both let go. Adelaide sat down in the seat next to her. They both started facing each other.

"I haven't seen you in what seems like forever." she grabbed Siobháns hands and squeezed them affectionately.

"It has been way too long." Siobhán inspected her cousins' face. She had gotten prettier over the year they hadn't seen each other. "You've gotten prettier as well."

Adelaide rolled her eyes.

"No, you've gotten prettier." she insisted. Siobhán sighed and laid back on her chair.

"Not as much as you have," she muttered. Adelaide shifted to face the table. She inspected the food and nodded satisfied.

"Don't flatter me," she mumbled under her breath, fidgeting with the cuticles of her nails. Glancing back at Siobhán, she gave her a smirk.

"Have you gotten a boyfriend yet?" she raised her eyebrows, teasing her in the process. Siobhán placed her forehead on the table and groaned. Adelaide got down on her level while frowning.

"Come on, don't be like that." she pouted. Vinícius observed his older sister and cousin. He clasped his hands and placed them nicely on his lap.

"My sister indeed does have a boyfriend," he said nonchalantly. Siobhán shot her head up and glared at her brother.

"Vinícius!" she gritted her teeth. Grabbing a napkin from the table, she crumbled it up. She threw it at her brother and it hit his face. He grabbed the napkin that was now on his lap and frowned.

"Dear sister, so abusive." he clutched his shirt, giving her a fake hurt expression. She scoffed and turned over to Adelaide who was smirking at her.