Ch 185: Guarding This Place Is My Responsibility

By the time Lin Ye's group arrives at the second floor, they discovered that the stairs leading to the third floor collapsed.

ACE frowns, "Someone blew the staircase up. We can't go up this way."

El says, "Then we'll find another path. This factory is pretty big. We should be able to find something."

"You're right.", ACE nods and then looks at Lin Ye, "It's gotten pretty quiet up there."

"That's not necessarily a bad thing, right?" Lin Yie says although he's really worried.

"Ifrit shouldn't be able to calm down on her own without help.", Ace says, "If that help is Silence, that's fine, but if it were something else... I don't think we found Cardo's body."

Lin Ye's heart sinks.

"Anyway, we have to move now. El is right. There has to be another way.", Ace leads the team out of the staircase and onto the second floor, "We'll check the other side out first." He looks at Lin Ye again, "Stay close to me. I'm not sure if this place is safe yet."

Lin Ye checks his chamber and sees two bullets left. Originally, he was going to reload his python, but he couldn't find his backpack in time after that red-haired giant smashed the car.

He sighs inwardly.

Two bullets won't do much, but they're something.

Lin Ye looks around while following closely behind Ace. The second floor of the factory was littered with broken machinery covered with spider webs.

El whispers, "Something's not right... Wait, did you hear that?"

ACE pauses, "What did you hear?"

*Click*

Lin Ye is still trying to hear what ACE and El were talking about. All the sounds were muffled by his gas mask. It's stifling.

*Click*

Lin Ye wasn't sure if that sound came from his breathing.

ACE slaps Lin Ye's shoulder, "Run! Don't look back!"

Lin Ye couldn't really hear what ACE was saying, but ACE looks really nervous. He nods and starts running.

However, ACE wasn't following the rest of the group. He raises his shield and steps behind Lin Ye.

*Boom!*

*Boom!*

*Boom!*

{Rhodes Island's Psychologist}

When he's finally on the other side, Lin Ye looks back and sees the floor in flames, with ACE standing in the middle. It seems he blocked the shock wave with his shield.

"It's those bugs.", El shouts, "They're everywhere!"

Lin Ye squints. This time, he finally sees those "bugs," or rather, giant spiders around the size of two or three soccer balls. They have faint golden outlines and six legs, moving rapidly across the floor. When they get near ACE, their bodies start expanding.

ACE shouts, "Get back! Find the stairway and get out! Don't just stand there! Move!"

Lin Ye snaps out of his trance and follows the group.

ACE shouts, "El, protect Dr. Lin and bring him to the third floor!"

Before Lin Ye can say anything, El grabs his collars and drags him away. Lin Ye says, "I can walk on my own."

El's reply is cut off as a bug goes off in front of them. Moving quickly, El placed himself between the attack and Lin Ye. Afterward, El collapses onto the floor, coughing and covered in blood.

"El!"

Before Lin Ye can begin to pull El away, his sight is obscured by some green smoke. At the same time, a thick arm grabs El.

"Follow me!", ACE runs away while carrying El with one arm. Lin Ye quickly follows behind.

The green smoke doesn't stop the bugs for long. Soon, Lin Ye hears their skittering behind them again. They're chasing Lin Ye's group, the clicks and clacks signaling the approach of death.

"Over there!" Lin Ye sees a door in the distance. From the label, it seems to be a stairway. If they get inside, they should be able to keep the bugs out.

ACE doesn't say anything and runs toward the door. Even though he's carrying El and his equipment, he's still able to keep up with Lin Ye. Lin Ye realizes how bad his physical strength really was.

When I go back, I'll add running to my training.

But despite their best efforts, those spiders were slowly catching up to Lin Ye's group. This was Lin Ye's first time seeing spiders move this fast... if they can be called spiders. He wants to shoot those disgusting things, but he's worried that killing them will only make them explode.

Eventually, Lin Ye's group reaches the door. ACE throws a few smoke grenades at the group of spiders before shutting the door.

As Lin Ye tries to catch his breath, ACE says, "Do you really think that door can stop those things? We have to move."

ACE takes off his broken gas mask and throws it away, revealing his bloody face. Then, he puts El down and adjusts his shield. "I'll guard this place. Bring El with you and go to the third floor."

Lin Ye pauses, "Are you crazy?! We've made it this far. Why can't we go together?!"

"It would be irresponsible of me to let those things reach the third floor.", ACE says lightly, "They aren't strong enough to kill me. I'm not that weak."

"But there are too many, ACE, come-!"

"Enough. Dr. Lin, if you're more suited for this role, I'll gladly give the task to you.", ACE stares at the slowly dissipating smokescreen, "But you aren't. You're a doctor. You have a responsibility to your patients, and there's a girl waiting for you to save her."

"..."

"As for me..." ACE lifts his shield up and glares at the bugs, "guarding this place is my responsibility."

{Rhodes Island's Psychologist}

Draft by Demosama

Proofread by Demosama & PanzerComrade56

Edit by Jaqqy10