XVIII. GOSSIP & SCANDAL

EPISODE 6: SWISHCHAPTER 18

EPISODE 6: SWISH
CHAPTER 18. GOSSIP AND SCANDAL

 GOSSIP AND SCANDAL

I SLOWLY OPEN THE servant's entrance, careful not to make a sound, as I sneaked back in, from which was quite possibly the best day of my life.

I close the door behind me, and turn around freezing, as a door to my left opens, and someone steps out, and they too stop, as they see me.

"Miss Diana?" Elle asks, confused.

"Elle." I breath out, as we awkwardly stand there, staring at each other.

"You never saw me?" I ask her, hopefully, and she nods.

"I am just going to wake you up, and that will be the first time I will see you today." She replies, and I give her a beaming smile, rushing to my room.

All is fair in love and war, but some battles leave no victor, only a trail of broken hearts that makes us wonder if the price we pay is ever worth the fight. The ones we love have the power to inflict the greatest scars. For what thing is more fragile... than the human heart?

The bond between man and bride is private, sacred. But I must tell you, I have learned that a grave fraud is afoot. As if the Featheringtons did not have enough to be dealing with, Miss Marina Thompson is with child... and she has been from the very first day she arrived in our fair city. Desperate times may call for desperate measures, but I would wager many will think her actions beyond the pale. Perhaps she thought it her only option, or perhaps she knows no shame. But I ask you, can the ends ever justify such wretched means?

I WALK INTO THE drawing room, a huge smile on my face, as I was about to tell the whole family the news of my engagement.

My smile drops, as I see the gloom that surrounds the entire room, and look at all of them.

"What on earth happened?" I asked them, confused, but non of them says anything. Hyacinth just slowing gets up, handing me the latest Whistledown. My eyes scan the paper, and they widen in shock, as I look up at Colin. He doesn't meet my eyes, just stands their motionlessly, as I fall back onto the sofa.

"HAVE YOU TOLD YOUR family yet?" Louis asks me, as he came to our house, with flowers to drop off.

"Not yet." I tell him, a little softer, as I take the flowers from him, and put them down on the table. We both sit down. "This news of Miss Thompson, has everyone in this house worried out of their minds, how can I tell them, when my Brother is in such peril."

"Of course." He tells me, with a nod of his head. "But, this might be the answer to all of your problem. Once, the people of the ton see, that you are engaged to a member of the royal family, they would not dare say anything ill, and your family's reputation would be restored."

"That was be ideal." I tell him, but sigh.

"What is it?" He asks me, leaning forwards and taking ahold of my hand gently. "Tell me, Diana."

"I do not want our engagement to be some tool to for the ton to respect us, Louis." I tell him. "I want it to be just for us, and not to save my family from scandal, but a reason to have joy, and celebration."

"Whether you decide to tell them today, or weeks after, I will stand by you." He tell me, a soft smile on his face. "Whatever you decide, Diana."

"I got a letter from Daphne." I tell him. "She's coming home, so that there will be a new topic for the ton to gossip about, and to show them, that we still have the favor of the Duke and the Duchess."

"Then our problem is solved." He tells me. "Once this whole scandal is over, you can tell your family."

I give him a bright smile.

"I can not wait." I tell him.

A/N

SORRY FOR THE SHORT CHAPTER GUYS, BUT I HAD TO END THE EPISODE.

NEXT CHAPTER IS COMMING SOON!!!