Receipt | Reiner x Reader

Prompt- Grocery shopping with Reiner!

Modern AU

One of the greatest inventions ever is the creation of the stick note. Most would agree that they are useful and handy. The thing about sticky notes though is that their small. They get crumbled and go places you didn't think they could get. So whether it was lost in laundry, crushed in your car, or sitting on the table at home- one things for sure- you didn't have it. Now this usually wasn't that big of a deal but this time you were hoping to successfully remember to bring your shopping list without fail.

Fast forward to now, you where doing your best to remember said list. Your memory seemed to be lacking and, seeing as you had made four separate notes- rewriting and making a new one every time you lost the last- you'd hope to remember most of it. Yet still looking at your new list, you could tell it was definitely missing a lot.

Usually you'd get the regular things like bread, milk, and whatever you had run out of that week. But this time was different. Being home during the pandemic had given you a lot of spare time and what better use of that time than to learn how to bake. You started with simple things like cake mixes from boxes, to sugar cookies from scratch. This weeks project was bread. You wanted to learn how to bake bread.

Your eyes scanned the list again, while your brain strained to remember what it was that you were missing. Reiner stood beside the cart, not helping at all as usual. He glanced around. Usually he'd remind you of things that you needed but today he too was drawing a blank.

"Milk?" He suggested

"Already got it." You responded.

"Butter?"

"Got that too."

The conversation continued, the two of you having a deep brainstorming session in the dairy section.

"Yeast?"

"Yes!" you said excitedly while adding it to the list.

"See Y/n. Sometimes i'm handy." He joked.

You laughed along with him.

"Oh! I have an idea- what if we walk around the store? That way if you see something that was or reminds you of something that was on your list you can get it!" 

His face lit up, clearly impressed with himself. You too thought his idea was good. You hummed in approval before starting to push the cart. The two of you moved through the isles, looking at everything at least once. Every one in a while you'd remember something and put it in the cart quickly before moving on.

After going through the whole store the two of you looked at you cart. It seemed full enough. You couldn't think of anything else that you'd need. Deciding that it was probably time that you leave, you both walked towards the register. And after scanning and bagging your items the attendant asked for the money. Reiner stuck his hands in his pockets pulling out his wallet and handing it to you to get the correct amount out. You counted quickly and handed the money to the clerk. After handing you back your change you glanced at Reiner, ready to give him his wallet back. A stoic expression made you pause. He stared at the ground. His face contorted into what looked like sadness and pain.

"Hey what's wrong?"

He looked up at you quickly but then avoided eye contact.

"So um know how we spent like 3 hours here looking for what you need?"

"Yeah...?"

"Well um... here."

He shoved a yellow piece of paper in your hand. Opening it you saw your list. The one you couldn't find. You were frustrated. You grabbed the two bags, leaving the other two to Reiner.

"Get the receipt." You snapped, walking away.

He hung his head and did as you asked quickly mumbling a small sorry before following you to the parking lot.

a/n- ik this is pretty short so i'm sorry- i'm thinking of doing a Reiner catch-up for the scenarios (the ones with the blue hearts)- should i?

also as always id love to hear your thoughts and opinions as well as suggestions on what you want me to write!