1 :: The Drink You Spilt All Over Me

A/N

Hi all! You can go ahead and skip this author's note if you wish, but I just wanted to talk about something important before we start. Even though this is an X reader, this story is very inspired by where I am in my life right now. I just turned sixteen this past weekend, and I've been having a hard time facing the notion of growing up and coming close to reaching adulthood while still feeling like a child.

It's been a rollercoaster of emotions for me these past couple months seeing myself as a kid just wanting to have fun stuck in a woman's body and increasingly carrying more adult burdens like looking for a job, thinking about college applications, and learning how to spend money smart and manage finances.

I know there are other teens and young adults who feel the same as me, so I hope this story makes you feel like you're not the only one feeling this way. We're growing up together.

This story was also inspired by the song Ribs by Lorde, which perfectly sums up how I feel. Please enjoy.

WARNING: This story contains mildly mature themes, such as use of adult language, mentions of sex and sexual innuendos, and usage of drugs and alcohol.

–––

"Damn it! Shit!"

You stared down at your breakfast burrito splat on the concrete sidewalk, the potatoes and eggs spewed like guts, and the spilled iced coffee on the ground next to it. It was only twelve in the afternoon and your day had already gone more than sideways.

You had accidentally overslept your morning lecture, which was crucial to the test you have next week. Your professor always had a vendetta against technology, thus never posting shit online for you to utilize. You opted to ask your roommate, Mikasa, for her notes, since luckily you both shared a morning lecture. Unfortunately, she left a note on her bed saying she'll be gone for the week due to a family emergency. You're not too surprised she didn't tell you herself; you and her never really talked that much.

Coffee will make this better. Coffee and burritos always make things better. You had thought as your feet carried you through your dorm hall and out into the crisp morning air, your skin meeting the prickly beginning on Autumn. Nonetheless, it seemed the universe has had it out for you, because now you're on your hands and knees in tears over your late breakfast on the sidewalk.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck!"

You wail, your hands covering your face so no standby would see your face contorted as tears slipped.

To most people, your grievances would come through as a standard human mistake and nothing much to be so incredibly upset about. However, life here had been difficult, and it felt like every day you pull the extra short end of the stick compared to your peers.

"Hey, are you okay?"

You look up at the person holding such a soft and melodic voice. Her hair was dark and frizzy, curtain bangs framing her face and accentuating her tired dark eyes. She had a lazy smile just barely reaching her upper face, and she was slightly bent down to be more at your eye level.

"Rough day, huh?" she asked. "I totally know how you feel, but we just gotta get up and dust off."

The young woman extended her thin arm, holding out her hand and smiled with her teeth while tucking stray hairs behind her ear with her other hand. You wipe your hands, damp with salted tears, on your sweatshirt and take the young woman's hand to help balance as you stood up.