Chapter 1- Part II

last chapter
"Help." he whispered, voice cracking.

Biana only smirked, and put her hand on her hips.
end

"So, she decided no?" Biana asked, in a I-told-you-so way.
Keefe nodded sourly. "Why would she want to adopt? It's not like-"
Biana shushed him. "Remember Sencen, Sophie grew up with humans. She has a different mindset than you-not in a bad way, 'course." she added quickly.

Keefe sighed. "I know. But, if we are gonna adopt, he or she better be at least three quarters as pretty as me." he said in a lighter tone.

"Stop being such a git. Adopting is fun too. Let's go see the children at the elvin orphanage !"

"There aren't many there."

"Hogwash. When the Neverseen came many were killed, many children left homeless. Also remember the gnomish plague?"

Keefe looked disgusted. "You want us to adopt a gnome? No hate towards gnomes, but I'm pretty sure we're supposed to adopt elves."

"Relax. I was joking"

Keefe smiled, and waved goodbye to Biana.

: :

Keefe and Sophie entered the square crystal building, hand in hand.

"I used to see thousands of children in San Francisco working so hard, because they were so poor. I saw them sleeping on cardboard pieces on the streets, begging for money, and taking up all sorts of odd jobs to earn a living." Sophie said glumly, and leaned on Keefe for support-the weight of sadness making her wobble in her flats.

"But Foster, those are humans. Children elves at the orphanage don't need to be adopted. They are really privileged already." Keefe argued, trying one more time.

"What about Wylie? Tiergan adopted him, and it was a good thing he did, because Wylie didn't feel as broken and lonely without Tiergan!" Sophie lashed.

Keefe blinked.

Now Keefe felt guilty. What if their parents had been as bad as his? Or what if they were as good as Prentice and Cyrah, but lost them? He dried a few tears and tried to cheer himself up with some entertaining news - Fitz was planning to have children!

And so Keefe spaced out, trying to think how the mutants or...er...Chandelitz babies would look like.

Keefe smiled inside, Chandelitz was a brilliant ship name. He should share that with Fitz-he'd love it.

"OH MY GOD THAT ONE LOOKS LIKE ME!" Keefe excitedly hooked a thumb towards a small toddler with beautiful glossy blond hair and incredibly bright blue eyes. His hair was messy and he sat on a comfortable bed, crossing his arms. Lovely thick brows, too.

Sophie swerved her head towards where Keefe had pointed. "Interesting! Let's see. He is cute." she commented.

Keefe flipped imaginary hair. "Of course he is. He's a mini me!"

"Too much like you actually. It looks like I wasn't the mother at all!"

"Psh. It doesn't matter. S'long as he looks like his daddy." Keefe beamed. Together they approached the small boy, and knowingly, the boy looked up at his to-be father and gave the tiniest smirk.

"Goo." he purred, and put his hands on his head.

That night, Sophie and Keefe were bringing one more home.