⌞9⌝

Aurora knew that not many people would be getting a full night's rest after the banishment of Ben. She saw that in everyone's eyes the next morning had shimmers of guilt and sadness but the bags under everyone's eyes stuck out the most. Each eye supported a ring of darkness and puffiness that made Rory wish everyone could just spend the day resting, obviously that wasn't the case. They needed answers.

After an oddly early breakfast that everyone bar about ten people turned up to, Rory and Newt met with Alby and Minho at the gates before they opened. The two planned to retrace Ben's steps and figure out what had happened. Rory hugged the pair mere seconds before the gate rumbled into life. Once they where fully open, the duo ran into the maze while Newt and Rory stood outside of it.

Rory nibbled on the skin around her nails out of instinct but newt was quick to grab the hand she was nibbling on and intertwined their fingers. It wasn't exactly a great habit to bite the skit around your nails especially somewhere that you have to be weary about supplies so Newt was always there to stop her. The sky was still dark so the pair went for a walk before they where due to start work and even when the sun had risen Rory decided to go spend time with the track-hoes.

"no but why would Alby go in the maze. I mean he's not a runner" Thomas asked from beside Rory. She was sat in the middle of him and chuck who was still carving out a figurine.

"things are different now. Alby went to retrace Bens footsteps before sundown" Newt stated "look are you gonna help"

"besides he used to be a runner before he deemed himself to 'unfit' for it a year ago" Rory smiled at the memory brought her knee's up to her chest.

"okay so he's gonna go back to where Ben was just stung-" Thomas started before Newt cut in

"Alby knows what he's doing alright, if anything he knows better than any of us" 

"what does that mean" Thomas asked curiously

"alright its like you've heard yeah, every month the box sends up a new arrival but someone had to be first" Newt started before looking over at Rory for confirmation

"Me, Alby and eighteen others came up the same day. Alby spent an hour here alone and confused before everyone else slowly started arriving in pairs. It wasn't easy for any of us at first" Rory smiled slightly

"they realised that the most important thing they had was each other because were all in this together" Newt added

"None of us wanted to be stuck within four walls" Thomas got up while Rory was explaining and helped Zart and Newt break down a tree trunk "and when others kept coming up month after month, at first we assumed the worst but then we figured out about the maze and had a little bit of hope. Alby was the first person to ever step foot in the maze so just trust him okay"

Almost immediately a storm had formed above them, everyone put their jobs on hold and stood under the minimal amount of shelter around the Glade. Some under trees, some in homestead, some under the handmade shelter. The storm lasted the remainder of the day, everyone either gave up and went to work or stayed put under shelter waiting for Minho and Alby to arrive. Rory, Newt, Chuck, Thomas and Frypan had moved from Rory's room in homestead to the shelter outside.

Rory was pacing a little, fiddling with the matching middle finger rings Newt had made for him and her. Chuck managed to calm her down for a whole ten minutes before she started pacing again.

"they should be back by now" Thomas stated matter-of-factually making Rory tilt her head back out of frustration "what happens if they don't make it"

"they're gonna make it" Newt commented but sounded as if he was reassuring himself more than Thomas and Rory. Rory would never admit it out loud but she was worried for the pair since her and Alby practically grew up together and Minho was, well he was Minho and if that doesn't say enough then who knows what will. She zoned out almost everything after and focussed on her ring to keep her grounded.

When the rain had finally stopped it was minutes away from the gates closing and the duo still wasn't back. Gally was holding Rory's wrist to keep her from pacing since it pretty much annoyed everyone.

"cant we send someone after them" Thomas asked. Newt had his arms crossed and one hand over his mouth. Gally had let go of her to crouch down in front of the concrete walls

"we cant, its against the rules" Gally stated, his eyebrows furrowing "either they make it back or they don't"

"cant risk loosing anyone else" Newt added, his eyes slightly glossed over. Rory groaned and walked in front of newt, placing her hands on his shoulders gently.

"If i don't fucking make it back tell all the new greenie's how amazing i was and don't let anyone be sad okay thanks" She whispered before kissing his cheek before turning around. Newt grabbed her hand and pulled her back shaking his head but she tugged her hand away from him "i have to newt"

"please" Newt whispered "don't"

"I'm sorry" She mouthed before turning around and jogging into the maze, ignoring all the calls and cries of her name. She gulped and turned the first corner seeing Minho carrying an unconscious Alby. Rory bit her lip and ran towards the two, Minho giving her an insane look. She looped Alby's arm over her shoulder and helped Minho carry the dark skinned boy back. However, Rory's helped didn't help that much.

They where only going a little bit faster and by the time they had made it around the corner to see the exit the gates where already closing. Rory gulped and tried to pick up more of Alby's weight but it didn't help. People shouted for them to leave him but the pair knew they couldn't. Minho signalled for her to put him down, He then attempted to drag Alby's unconscious body across the floor.

"Ro please just come back" She heard Newt shout, his voice cracking. 'no one survives a night in the maze' was repeating through both their heads for different reasons. Newt was scared that he wasn't going to see the girl who had his heart in the palm of her hand again and Rory was determined that if those gates shut before the trio got back that the saying would no longer stand.

They got about ten steps away from the gates when it got to small for them to make it. Instead Thomas risked his life and ran through the middle just before the gates snapped shut behind him. Rory ran up to the concrete gates and put her hand on the wall, resting her head against it. She knew it was her choice to stay back with Minho and Alby but there was no denying the fact she was terrified.

 She knew it was her choice to stay back with Minho and Alby but there was no denying the fact she was terrified

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚authors note**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚

- I have such a good plan for Aurora in these next few parts. If you want a clue as to what is going to happen think about her name and what its associated with :)