Aren't you dead?

Luna and Alyssa landed on the floor with a thump. Where were they?

———————————————————

Albus Dumbledore was having a leisurely conversation with Minerva McGonagall regarding four student who just couldn't stay out of mischief.

'I'm telling you Albus, this is getting out of hand. They turned the whole school pink last year. Pink! Who knows what will happen this year. And with Lupin as a prefect too, what is they abuse the power?'
'I assure you Minerva, whilst I am touched with your concern, I have thought this through and I'm sure they will be just fi-'

He was cut off by a loud thump. The two professors ran quickly to the middle of the headmasters' office to see to girls who looked to be about 18. They were covered in dirt and blood and one was sobbing.
The old man gesture McGonagall to draw her wand before they both made their way over to them.

'Who are you and what are you doing in my office?' He asked loudly.
The girls jerked up and stared at him gaping like fish. The two looked very worst for wear as though they'd been fighting. The brunette was absolutely covered in blood too.

'Oh hello there Professor. How did you get out of your portrait,' Luna asked in her usual dreamy voice which now has a slight edge to it.
'My portrait?'
'Yes, they are like pictures on a w-'
'I know what a portrait is. Who are you?'
'I'm Luna Lovegood and this is Alyssa Granger. I would like to go see Harry now. I wonder if he's defeated Voldemort yet?'
McGonagall flinched at the name whilst Dumbledore looked impressed. His expression changed to a frown,
'How do we know you're not deatheaters.'
'Do we look like deatheaters?'
'I'm going to need more proof.'
'What do you want us to do to prove it,' the brunette asked tiredly, the tear tracks were clear on her face.
'Veritiserum?'
'Sure, don't ask too many questions though.'

He grabbed a vial off the shelf and gave it to them. Alyssa took at few drops.
'What's your name?'
'Alyssa Granger.'
'Are you a supporter of Voldemort?'
'NO!'
'How did you get past the anti-apparation charms?'
'We didn't apparate.'
'How did you get here?'
'We were hit by 3 unknown spells all at once and then we somehow appeared here.'
'How old are you?'
'17...or maybe 18 I can't remember.'
The professors exchanged glances at this before repeating the process on Luna.

'Excuse me sir?'
'Yes Miss Granger,'
'What year is it?'
'1977.' He said in confusion.
'Shit!'
'Language.'
'Luna we time travelled.'
'Are you quite sure?'
'Of course I am. It all makes sense now. Why Dumbledore's alive and the castle is intact and Minnie isn't fighting in the war THATS MEANT TO BE HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!'
'Calm down Miss Granger. What go you mean war? You time travelled?'
'I'd imagine so because we were in 1998 a minute ago. T-there was a war, against Voldemort. We were just fighting in it- that's why we look so...well like this.'

'A war you say. How are we doing?'
'Well we're not really losing. But lots of people d-died.' Alyssa choked up.
McGonagall felt bad for the girl,
'You lost someone?'
'So many people.... I um, I lost my sister, my best friend, my other friends, my father figure, Luna's dad and in some ways, my parents.'

There was silence for a couple of seconds. Neither professor could believe the children had been through so much.
'In some ways?' Dumbledore finally questioned causing McGonagall to shoot him a glare at him insensitivity. The pain on her face was clear when she spoke next.
'M-me and my sister are muggleborn so we were being hunted- for other reasons too. So um our parents were in danger as they could of been tortured for information on our whereabouts. So we,' She let out a strangled sob and Luna hugged her, 'we had to obliviate them. Make them forget we ever existed. Then we sent them to Australia to live peacefully. They don't even know we exist and mum had twins a couple months ago and names them Alyssa and Hermione. Our names. It wasn't their fault of course, but it hurt so bad that we were being replaced.'

'I'm so sorry you went through that.'
McGonagall's voice cracked slightly at the sad story. Dumbledore looked equally sad.
'If you don't mind me asking, you said I was dead? How and when did i die?'
'You were uh, killed with the killing curse, blasted off the Astronomy tower. It was on Voldemort's orders by a fellow professor.'

McGonagall looked absolutely seething,
'Who did it? Who killed Albus?'
'I-um well... maybe I shouldn't say. We've probably already changed the future and anyway. They kill you on your own orders.'
Dumbledore and McGonagall both looked very shocked at this.
'Do you have a death wish Albus? You bloody orchestrated your own death.'
'I'm sure I had a good reason Minerva.'
'Yeah you did.'

'Well! You two can stay here and attend your sixth year until I find a way to return you to your time. You can be transfers- Oh and we better get you to the hospital wing.'
They nodded and then Luna spoke, once again in her dreamy voice,
'Professor Dumbledore, during the war, a werewolf guy but my shoulder and it was a full moon so I think I might by a werewolf. Is that okay?'
'Yes if course Miss Lovegood. We will organise a space for you to transform.'
Alyssa cleared her throat.
'May I help, I'm a uh animagus.'
Dumbledore's eyebrows shot up.
'I guess that's fine but for now, hospital wing!'

———————————————————
'Merlin! What on earth happened to you two. Come on lie down and I'll heal those cuts- they're deep though. They'll probably scar.' Madame Pomfrey was soon treating all their wounds and Dumbledore told her they were transfers and had come from a rough spot at home. They mixed lies with the truth and told her they were being hunted by Voldemort and their parents were killed and they both said they were muggleborn- a lie for Luna and a truth for Alyssa.

She didn't ask too many questions, though she looked in horror by the amount of blood on Alyssa and the werewolf bite on Luna.

'Merlin, What happened to your arm?' Alyssa flushed and instantly pulled her arm away on instinct. McGonagall and Dumbledore walked over clearly intrigued about her arm,
'Let me see dear.' The mediwitch coaxed and she slowly held out her arm and pulled back the sleeve to reveal the word mudblood carved into her forearm the professors gasped in shock.

'Run in with a deatheater.' Alyssa shrugged, 'she tortured me and my sister for information with the cruciatus curse and when we wouldn't speak, she gave me this.'
'Thanks for saving me that day, I don't know if I ever said but it wasn't very nice in that dungeon. I'm glad you rescued us.' Luna piped up.
'Of course, we wouldn't leave you.'

'You're so young and yet you had to fight in a war- I'm so sorry.' McGonagall said sadly.
Alyssa nodded and her and Luna soon fell asleep.

And when they woke up it was the first day of school and time for the sorting.