Chapter 20

*die with memories, not dreams*

*Third person Pov*

"We need to go to the hospital," Steve said.
"We need to be disguised first," Leah answered.
"Your right, pick up as much as you can from the apartment."

Leah and Steve got to the apartment and picked up a few main essentials like clothes, bathroom items and they left their phones because they could be tracked by S.H.I.E.L.D.

Leah looked at a photo of her and Tony that she kept in her dresser. She just stared at it and threw it in the bin. She was worried about him because of everything that she had seen on the news.

However, Leah couldn't contact him because she would be tracked and arrested. She couldn't tell him anything though anyway, she was specifically ordered not to trust anyone.

Steve walked to the door and leaned against the frame, watching her. He was in a changed outfit: A dark blue cap, dark blue jacket with a white shirt. Also wearing black jeans and converse. He watched Leah, packing her stuff. Her to in a change of clothes.

Leah was wearing black jeans with a black top that had a band name on it. She wore a jacket over it, with a cap on aswell.

"You ready?" Steve asked her. She turned around, smiled and nodded. She grabbed her small bag and they both headed out.

* * *

Disguised as a civilian, they were heading to the hospital to retrieve the flash drive. They both told eachother different reasons on why they were going there, because they were scared the other would do the wrong thing with it. They trusted eachother, but they were just scared; not wanting the other to get in more trouble than they already were.

"Im just going to head some files," Leah told Steve.
"Okay, I'm just going to speak to the doctors about Nick," Steve excused himself.

Leah quickly turned a different direction, a short cut to the vending machine. She grabbed some spare change that was in her pocket and put it in the vending machine. She had to do it a few times before the flash drive finally dropped, her receiving it.

She turned away seeing Steve turn the corner, looking behind him. She then knew he was here to get the drive to. She quickly hid and watched as he approached the machine. Steve's face dropped, looking around him as doctors and nurses hurried past him from different directions.

Leah appears behind him, chewing some gum, in anger Steve pushes her into a room.

"Where is it?" He asked furiously.
"Safe," is all Leah said with a straight face.
"Do better!" He shouted, but quiet enough that no one outside the room could hear.
"Whats on it?" Steve asked, Still angry.
"I don't know," she answered.

"Stop lying! You must of had a conversation with Fury before I arrived!"

"I only act like I know everything Rogers," Leah said smirking.
"I bet you knew Fury hired the Pirates, didn't you?"
"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you."
"I'm not gonna ask you again Leah," Steve said, his voice lowering, trying to intimidate Leah.

"I know who killed Fury. Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, the one who do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years," Leah gave in, finally explaining.

"So he is a ghost story?" Steve furrowed his eyebrows.

"Two years ago, me and Natasha was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff. I pulled us out, Natasha unconscious. But the Winter Soldier was there." Leah pulls up her shirt slightly, showing him a scar on the side of her stomach. "Soviet slug, no rifling. Bye-bye bikinis."

"Yeah, I bet you look terrible in them now," Steve joked, Leah showing a hint of smile on her face.

"Going after him is a dead end. I know, I've tried," she holds up the flash drive. "Like you said, he's a ghost."

Steve takes the flash drive from her hands and says, "Well, let's find out what the ghost wants." Leah smiled at Steve and he hugged her, apologetically after their small argument.

* * *

*Time Skip*

*Leah's pov*

Me and Steve head into the mall, disguised as a civilian couple.
"First rule of going on the run is, don't run, walk,"
"If I run in these shoes, they're gonna fall off," Steve said smiling, recieving a laugh from me. I hadn't been truly happy in a while, and Steve lightening the mood was definitely needed.

We walk into a Mac store to use one of their computers since we had no technology on us.
"The drive has a level Six homing program, so as soon as well boot up, S.H.I.E.L.D will know exactly were we are," I explained, getting slightly nervous.
"How much time do we have?" Steve asked, leaning against the table.

"Uh....about nine minutes from....now." I pop the flash drive into a MacBook Pro. "Fury was right about that ship, somebody's trying to hide something. The drive is protected by some sort of AI, it keeps rewriting itself to counter my commands," I explained to Steve, as he was watching what I was doing. Clearly confused.

"Can you override it?" He asked, getting concerned since we were on a time limit.

"The person who developed this is slightly smarter than me. Slightly. I'm gonna run a tracer. This is a programme that S.H.I.E.L.D developed to track hostile malware; so if we can't read the file, maybe we can find out where it came from."

Just then, not much time left, an employee approached us.
"Can I help you guys with anything?" The apple employee asked.
"Oh no. My fiancé was just helping me with some honeymoon destinations," I came up with an excuse on the spot. I saw Steve's eyes widen and I laughed to myself, noticing him getting nervous.

"Right! We are getting married," Steve said, very unbelievable but saved it by wrapping his arm around my shoulder, his fake smile being so obvious. Silly Steve.
"Congratulations. Where do you guys think about going?" The employee asked, being very nosey, but he was sweet. He took a look at our screen, and I saw the monitor was signalling to somewhere in New Jersey.

"New Jersey," Steve was quick to say, covering it up.
"Oh." The employee looks at Steve for a moment, squinting his eyes very close to him. Oh no, he knows it's Steve.
"I have those exact same glasses," he said and took a step back smiling.
A big sigh of relief escaped me,"Wow, you guys are practically twins!"

After atleast a minute of trying to get him to leave, he finally left us alone and i rolled my eyes focusing back to the MacBook.
"You said nine minutes, come on," Steve demanded with a soft voice, he was just panicking.
"Shh, relax. Got it." We see the signal coming from Wheaton, NJ and I notice Steve tense up.
"You know it?" I asked.
"I used to. Let's go." Steve pulls the flash drive from the computer and we walk out of the store.

Steve pointed out the Tac-Team around the mall, two of them approaching us.
"Shut up and put your arm around me and pretend to laugh at something I said," I ordered Steve. He didn't hesitate and done as he was told, the tactic working and getting away from the two agents that past us.

We headed on the escalators and my eyes glance at Rumlow who was heading up the other escalator next to us. I turn around to Steve who was on the step behind me.
"Kiss me," I commanded. Steve just looked at me not knowing what to say.
"What?"
"Public displays of affection make people very uncomfortable," I explained to the fossil.
"Yes they do." I quickly pull down Steve's head and kiss him, making Rumlow look away as he goes past us on the esculator.

"You still uncomfortable?" I ask Steve while walking down the escalator.
"Its not exactly the word I would use," Steve said, walking behind me making me laugh.

Word Count: 1387
Kiwi ~🥝