Chapter 17 | Long Lost Family

Dylan and I finished our food, making our way out of the diner after paying, leaving swiftly so our waitress didn't have time to sneak her number over to my mate.

"Thank you for paying," I said, wrapping my arms around myself as the bitter wind coursed through me, chilling me to the bone.

"Of course," replied Dylan, smiling down at me. "You're cold, let's go inside the mall."

I grabbed Dylan's large hand, allowing him to lead me towards the mall, enjoying the warm feeling spreading across my skin as we stepped through the doors.

"Do you want to go shopping?" asked my mate, raising his eyebrows.

"I don't really need anything," I shrugged, chewing on my bottom lip.

Dylan rolled his eyes, shaking his head. "I want to learn what you like."

I laughed, raising my eyebrows. "Okay, I'll show you."

I dragged Dylan into the nearest store, eyeing up the different clothing as I traced my fingers along the different dresses, studying them.

"This one is nice," announced my mate, holding up a pretty yellow summer dress, his eyes watching me carefully, gauging my reaction.

"It is, but it's not summer," I stated, making my way over to the sweatshirts, smiling as I pulled a light pink one off the rack, holding it up against myself.

"You look cute in pink," complimented Dylan, flashing me a quick grin.

"I have so many sweatshirts though," I replied, shrugging and hanging it back on the rack, attempting to walk away, but Dylan held onto my waist, shaking his head.

"If you like it, I'll get it for you," he replied, grabbing the sweatshirt and making his way over to the cashier, plopping it on the counter.

"Dylan, you don't have to buy me things," I said, rushing up behind him, causing the cashier to laugh.

"I think it's sweet when a boyfriend treats his girlfriend," she replied, popping the sweatshirt in a bag and handing it to my mate as he paid.

I followed Dylan out of the store, scowling at him as he laughed, holding his hands up defensively. "Come on, let me treat you."

I rolled my eyes, jumping slightly as my phone started to buzz in my pocket, but I allowed it to continue to ring until it stopped, gaining a raised eyebrow from Dylan.

"Aren't you going to answer that?"

I shook my head, continuing to stroll through the mall, taking in the bustling crowds of people shopping and chatting. "We're on a date, I'll check my phone later."

Dylan convinced me to follow him into another store, but I ordered him that he would not be spending anymore money on me, however, his reply was just a small chuckle, causing me to huff to myself as he eyed up the jeans.

"Dylan, I-"

My breath got caught in my throat as I gazed towards the other end of the shop, gasping to myself, my heart beating frantically in my chest.

The same man from the diner was standing by the changing rooms, his eyes latched onto me like a leech, causing me to shift from foot to foot uncomfortably. He looked me up and down as he scowled, his fists clenched by his side, causing fear to surge throughout my veins.

"I don't like anything here, can we go?" I asked Dylan, latching onto his arm, attempting to pull him towards the exit.

"Hold on, there's a sale," he replied, causing me to swallow harshly, taking a step backwards.