31

Alice Avery

I pushed the key Ricky had given me into the key slot of his apartment. I was worried as I walked in, worried that he'd have an unsteady attitude like he did last night. I placed the keys on the kitchen counter and rubbed my sweaty palms against my denim jeans. The apartment was silent, he must've gone out.

I took a seat on the sofa in the living room and my fingers naturally fiddled together. Last night didn't go as planned for us, things got out of hand and intense; caused an uneasy feeling in me.

I heard a pair of keys jingle from the outside of the door and I stood to my feet. The front door was opened with more aggression than usual. Ricky's eyes met mine in a cold, blank stare. He threw his keys to the couch and inched towards me.

"What are you doing here?" He grumbled unhappily, I really hoped he'd stay calm throughout my visit.

"I didn't like the way we ended the night yesterday," I answered.

"Yeah, and who's fault is that?" He blamed without looking at me.

"Yours, actually. You refused to talk to me the rest of the night. I don't control your feelings, you do."

"Well in that case, I don't control your actions, you do." He fired back with clear frustration in his voice. My eyes immediately rolled.

Ricky stalked up to me and grabbed my shoulders forcefully, "don't roll your fucking eyes at me."

I shoved him away from me, "don't put your hands on me like that ever again."

He showed no sign of remorse. He was annoyed, annoyed that I scolded him for  grabbing me like that.

"What? I can't touch you but some random prick on the street can?"

"You're fucking ridiculous Ricky, get over yourself."

I had a stranger flirt with me last night and Ricky blew the entire situation out of proportion, he acted like it was my fault. He didn't say a word to me on our drive home last night, I came here in hopes of rekindling his trust for me.

"You're my girlfriend Alice, you can't go around an-

"He came to me! You're acting like I cheated on you!" I yelled with a forceful voice. I didn't do anything wrong, I ignored the flirtatious stranger and Ricky went and scared him off.

Ricky put his hands on me again, pushing me away from him. "Don't raise your voice at me."

I chewed on my lip from nerves and looked to the floor. "You need to calm down," I said lightly.

"Don't!" He bursted out and aimed his pointed finger at me. "Don't talk back to me, you know what'll happen if you do that."

"You promised me you wouldn't do this, you promised me you wouldn't act like him."

"Well you made me like this, it's not my fault that you're difficult." He spat coldly, I tried to let it roll of my shoulders

"I'm sorry but-" I paused and looked up to his raged appearance. "You can't keep playing the victim Ricky."

He didn't like that statement, his fists balled up and his knuckles turned white.

"You see it's that fucking mouth of yours," he spoke smoothly before raising his voice. "You just never know when to shut it." He boomed before delivering a backhanded slap to my face.

His force caused distraction. My head was turned away from him and I brought my fingers to my busted lip, I looked at the dark blood that covered my fingertips.