5.2

Maddie's POV

Our lives become dependent on the constants that give us stability in an unstable world. Maybe it is the sound of the bus rolling past your house promptly at 7:01, or the coffee you grab every morning on your way to work even if traffic is bad. Sometimes these constants are so insignificant that you don't realize how often you depend on them throughout your day to keep you on track. Like that one kid with the ginger hair you pass everyday on the way to fourth period, and for the first time all year you don't see him, suddenly you question if you made a wrong turn, or messed up your schedule. You don't realize how dependent you are on something you never consciously noticed.

Sometimes these constant are the only things keeping your life stable in this unpredictable world. Once they are gone, that is when you realize how unstable your own fragile life is.

As my alarm goes off somewhere around 6:30, signaling I have to get up for school, I just huff and roll over, silencing my stupid phone. A pair of arms, that had been holding me through the night, squeeze me tighter. Luke's chin resting on top off my head, his breathing still heavy as sleep kept a loose grip on him.

"Don't get up yet," he croaks, his morning voice sending goose bumps down my arms.

"I have to go to school Luke," I pout, my head pressed against his chest.

"Just stay with me for five more minutes," he whispers, pulling me closer.

I nuzzle against his chest, holding him close. Luke had become my constant. Despite my rapidly changing life, he was the one sense of normalcy holding me in place.

"Okay," I whisper softly, "I really have to get ready now." I kiss his cheek softly, sliding out of his arms despite his protesting groans. "I'm leaving work early so I can take you guys to the airport."

"Or you could just skip school and work and come lay with me," Luke mumbles, his breathing slowing as sleep kept trying to pull him back within its grasps.

"Tempting," I sigh, brushing my hair and throwing on light makeup. Luke's eyes flutter open as I begin to undress and get changed.

"You should- you should wear my shirt," Luke whispers, blushing lightly, pointing to his flannel laying on the floor beside the bed.

"Okay," I smile over at him, slipping it on, and buttoning it up. I loved how we still had the power to make each other blush.

"You are cute, shorty," Luke chuckles, his head resting on the pillow, looking sideways at me.

I slip on my converse, sitting on the edge of the bed. "You remember how cute I am when all those English girls want to kiss your cheek."

"You remember how cute I am when those nerdy freshman hit on you at school," Luke smirks, teasing me.

"They are sophomores actually!" I defend myself. "And I never said you were cute," I smirk, laughing. Luke grabs my waist, giggling and pulling me back onto the bed, tickling my stomach.

"Luke!" I squeal, my head thrown back against his chest in laughter as his fingers trace my sides. "I have to go!" I gasp through my fits of laughter.

"Okay, okay," his giggle squeaks, pulling his fingers away and ceasing to tickle me. His fingers trail up to my cheeks, pulling me in for one last kiss. "See you later."

"Bye," I push him back down onto the bed with a final laugh, and grab my book bag, walking out into the living room.

"Why do you guys make so much noise, I'm trying to sleep," Calum groans from the couch as I walk into the living room.