32 - it's a new day

Penelope POV

I woke up feeling big, but I was in moms bed with all of them. I'm not surprised, yesterday must have been hard on them. They could have lost me if the Isaac's had chosen to grab me and run. I still feel really bad about that ordeal.

I somehow managed to get on the outside of all of them and was now on the edge of the bed, which works in my favor so I don't accidentally wake them up.

Slipping out of their bed, I make my way out into the hallway quietly before slipping into the bathroom to take a shower and brush my teeth before I go into my room. I get dressed rather quickly since I just threw on some jeans, tee shirt, and tennis shoes.

I skip down the stairs, but take it slower about half way down them because my ribs started to ache. I make my way into the kitchen to get started on breakfast. I make biscuits, scrambled eggs, bacon, and vegetarian sausage patties. Mari is trying to go vegetarian, but we'll see how long that lasts.

That all gets done rather quickly, so I pull it all out before getting glasses out for everyone. We drink orange juice with breakfast every morning and I had decided to wear a white shirt today of course.

Getting onto the counter and standing up, I reach for one of my sippy cups that is on the second shelf up, just far enough up to be too high for me.

"Baby!!" I heard someone yell causing me to jump and slip off the counter. Luckily mom was there and caught me.

"Next time someone's standing on a counter, don't yell at them when they don't know you're in here." I pouted at her.

"Well there better not be a next time then, no standing on the counters. It's dangerous." Mom said with a little grin and I just frowned at her.

"I'm not joking baby, no more climbing on the counters." Mom told me in her serious voice.

I let out a sigh, "Fine mom. Can you at least put me down so I can dish out everyone's food?" I asked trying to make sure there was no attitude with my question. Mom raised her brows as she looked around the kitchen.

"Baby, you cooked all of this?" Mom asked as she let me out of her arms and onto the ground.

I smiled at her and gave her a quick nod before going to get plates.

"I wish you would have woken one of us up sweetie, you could have burned yourself." Mom said sounding totally worried.

I turned around and playfully rolled my eyes at her, "Mom, I'm 17. I think I can cook breakfast just fine. Stop being such a worry wart," I told her as I walked back over and gave her a hug.

She hugged me tightly before kissing the top of my head, "I know sweetie, but you'll always be my baby. I'm allowed to worry." I just chuckled at her before going back to getting plates ready.

By the time I had everyone's plates dished out, and juices on the table, which mom poured for me, ma and Mari were walking into the kitchen.

Ma and Mari both pecked mom's lips as they walked past her. "Mmm, this looks delicious. Thanks babe." Mari said as she made her way to her seat.

"Actually, Penny did all of the cooking. I just poured the juice." Mom told them and Mari and ma both looked at me.

I gave them a little shrug, "I wanted to do something nice for you all. Yesterday was rough for everyone and I realized how badly I could have been hurt or even taken from you all. So I wanted to do this as an apology. Sorry for not telling you earlier mom, just wanted to tell everyone together." I said the last part looking at mom.

She came over and gave me another hug and whispered in my ear, "You are okay, and we are okay. Everyone's safe." She told me reassuringly and I nodded at her.

I smiled as everyone seemed okay with the situation and we all sat down to eat. Mari coughed a little when she bit into her sausage patty.

I give her a quizzical look and she noticed before swallowing hard and clearing her throat. She gave me a weak smile, "It tastes great sweetie." Mari tried to lie to me.

I chuckled a little, "You're the one that said you wanted to go vegetarian, that's veggie sausage." I told her and her eyes widened.

"Uhh, I think I'll stick with meat, maybe just not as much." Mari confessed causing mom and ma to laugh at her.

Once we finished breakfast we all went our separate ways, except mom and I. We got into the car as Mari and ma were pulling out. Mom glanced at me as we started to head to school.

I looked at her knowingly, "What's wrong mom?" I asked already knowing the question.

She sighed a little as we drove. "It's just...today's your first day back and I'm worried. We don't have to go back yet if you aren't ready." She told me and I smiled at her.

"Moooommmm. I'm fine, plus I'll be in your office literally all day. You're going to be so sick of me by the end of the day." I told her with a little chuckle.

She gasped jokingly, "I could never get sick of you baby! Take it back!" She laughed while trying to tickle me from the other seat.

Not wanting to be tickled and not wanting to crash I yelled quickly, not without a few giggles escaping. "I take it back, I take it back!"

She laughed a little with me as we pulled up to school. Getting out of the car, I met her right in front where she pulled me into a hug. I whined a little, "Mom, I promise you I will be just fine. We should head in." I told her and she groaned.

"Fine, we can go." She said before placing a kiss on the top of my head.

We make it up the stairs and almost to mom's classroom before Ms. Geerling stopped us. I internally groaned and rolled my eyes, which mom saw.

Ms. Geerling smiled brightly as she approached us, "Penny! Glad to see you back. I heard you took a nasty fall last week. How are you feeling?" She asked politely. I know she's a nice woman, but something about her makes me want to throttle her.

"I'm doing better. I get a little sore when I do things too quickly. I can run around fine, but stairs make it harder. Thank you for checking in on me." I told her politely.

"So, will I see you in my class today?" She asked and I have never felt so awkward before in my life.

"I'm actually doing all my schoolwork virtually now. I'm doing it in mom's office so I can focus better, so no I won't be in your class." I told her without realizing I said mom in front of her.

"Mom?" Ms. Geerling unfortunately caught on.

"Madelyn, always a pleasure to talk to you, but I need to get Penny set up in my office." Mom told Ms. Geerling and without hesitation she rushed me into the classroom.

I walked back to her office and she followed suit before closing the door and collapsing onto her couch.

I snuggled up to her side and she put her arm around me. "That woman is too freaking nosy." Mom complained and I laughed.

"I was thinking the same thing. Sorry for slipping up about the mom thing." I told her as I rested my head on her shoulder.

I felt her shake her head. "No, I'm proud to be your mom, I just didn't want her asking anymore questions that would make you uncomfortable." She told me and I smiled slightly. She was always looking out for me.

"Thanks mom, I love you." I told her truthfully and she kissed my forehead.

"I love you too little one. Now let's get you all set up so you are ready to get started on work." Mom said as she let me out of her grasp and stood up. I followed suit and followed her to the desk she had brought into her office.

I smiled when I saw it was just a desk, not one of the weird desk and chair combos. She also got me a comfy chair to sit in so it wasn't a hard normal one.

"I would have just given you my desk, but I didn't want you to have to move when I needed it." She told me and I gave her a hug before telling her it was perfect.