Thirty

"I shouted at Susan," Meredith sat beside Erin at the nurses station with a pout.

"Why? She brought me pop tarts and coffee. I'm considering moving her in to make us breakfast every morning," Erin grinned.

"Because she's everywhere! She turned up here today to talk to me. She's mothering us and it's really annoying how she only gives a shit now mom is dead," Meredith scowled.

"Okay, well, look at it this way. She'd never met us before. Ever. Dad refuses to tell Molly and Lexie about us. They know they have sisters but they don't know it's us. Even with baby Laura, no idea. And I think Susan always felt kind of second to mom. Of course we'd pick mom over her replacement. But now mom's gone and we both died and came back, and she's got a granddaughter..." Erin trailed off.

"She's making up for lost time," Meredith sighed.

"Yeah, I think she is. And yeah, it is a bit overbearing to spend every minute of every day with your replacement mommy but she cares and that's all we ever wanted; for someone to care about us the way a mom should. So, maybe apologise for shouting and just tell her that you aren't used to people caring and you'd like to continue being friends but at a slower pace. She'll understand," Erin said.

"You're so wise now," Meredith said. Erin shrugged.

"I think it's the getting older," she said.

"Mentioning older, our birthdays are coming up. What are we doing for them?" she asked.

"Well, we have boards first and then it's birthdays afterwards. We'll get boards out of the way and then plan our celebration," Erin said.

"Good idea. What do you want for your present?" Meredith asked.

"Pop tarts," Erin said seriously. Meredith laughed and kissed her cheek, standing up.

"I'll get you some pop tarts," she said. Erin grinned and watched her walk away down the hallway.

Erin sighed as the doorbell rang for the second time.

"Meredith, are you gonna get that?" she shouted. She didn't hear a reply so she stood up and dragged herself down the stairs. She unlocked the door and opened it, smiling when she saw Susan.

"Erin, hi," Susan said.

"Hi. Come in," Erin said.

"Is it Derek?" Meredith called.

"No, Susan!" Erin called up. She heard footsteps and then Meredith ran down the stairs.

"Seriously?" Meredith sighed when she saw Susan.

"Okay, that stops right now," Susan said. Erin looked at Meredith with wide eyes.

"It's just, I'm...I'm waiting for Derek and I'm very tired," Meredith said.

"I don't care," Susan said.

"Excuse me?" Meredith frowned.

"I've been working myself up to saying this...well, for a while now. So, I need to say it," Susan said. They nodded. "It's my fault your father didn't fight harder for you two. I knew about you both. Well, I found out after I'd actually had both of the girls," Susan said.

"He didn't tell you?" Erin asked.

"No, but it's been a long time since we've had that argument and I've come to terms with it. My point is, I could've pushed him to be a part of your lives. I should've pushed him. You were children and we were the adults. But we were just married and it was new and that's what I carried about. And I know the groceries and stuff are a little much. That's just what I do. I mean, quit looking at me like I'm crazy cause that not fair. I'm just trying to find a way to be there for you two, the only way that I know how. And if you can't accept that, fine. Just stop being so rude and I... okay... I'm overstepping again, aren't I?" Susan chuckled awkwardly.