vii | the witchfinder

"you know, you've gotten really lazy since moving here. there are too many men around every corner offering to do things for you."

[2.7 — The Witchfinder]

Everyone was a bit surprised when Uther had requested for Lia to ride along with a group of knights to an outlying village

Everyone was a bit surprised when Uther had requested for Lia to ride along with a group of knights to an outlying village. It had reportedly been attacked by bandits, so the Knights of Camelot were sent to check on them. After seeing how Lia handled herself against the Troll, the King was comfortable enough with sending her along to treat the wounded.

Arthur had thrown an absolute fit about not being allowed to accompany them.

Of course, Lia had been perfectly safe the entire trip. The Prince had no need to threaten to throw Leon in the dungeon if she came back with so much as a scratch. After two days, the group was headed back to Camelot. The bandits had been taken care of, and Lia healed all the wounded.

Lia had enjoyed the opportunity to see other parts of the kingdom and to help those in need, but she had missed Camelot. As they rode towards it and she caught a glimpse of the walls of the city, Lia grinned. She was glad to be almost home.

"You did well, Lia," Leon complimented, keeping his horse in pace with hers. "All those children fell in love with you. They were sad to see you go."

"Thank you," she said, smiling. "It was nice to help. Do you think Uther will let me do something like this again?"

"The King often wishes to send medical help to our smaller villages. It's just that Gaius is a bit too..."

"Old?" Lia offered, laughing softly. Leon nodded sheepishly. "I know. He complains after only having to be on a horse for an hour. A journey like this would tire him out."

"Exactly," he said, nodding. "Arthur may not like it, but the King may start sending you out more and more. Who knows? You're handy with a sword. Perhaps you'll come on a quest one day. You'd certainly protect yourself better than Merlin."

"And yet he's never actually gotten hurt," she pointed out.

"Which is shocking," Leon said, grinning. "He's more durable than he looks, I suppose."

"I should hope so with all the junk Arthur lobs at his head."

| | |

There was not much time to relax as Lia and the knights returned to Camelot. Not even a half-hour had passed before the council and court were called to the Throne Room. A woman named Cathryn had come forward, claiming to see someone doing magic. Everyone was gathered and listened to her detailed account.

"It was sorcery you saw, and you're certain of it?" Uther asked Cathryn.

"Yes, Sire."

"And you swear this before your King?" he asked.