xi | the witch's quickening

"i don't care about some prophecy. i trust her and will be there for her when she needs me, the same way that i am for you."

[2.11 — The Witch's Quickening]

"Take the north door straight ahead

"Take the north door straight ahead. Keep going."

Merlin woke with a start when he heard the familiar voice in his head. He sat up quickly in his bed and focused on the telepathic message that was not meant for him. He needed to be sure he was hearing who he thought he was.

"Keep going. Hurry!"

He bolted out of bed and threw on a shirt and pair of shoes. Lia then stirred, hearing him frantically moving around the room. She sat up and peered at him through the dark.

"What's wrong, Lin?" she asked, rubbing her eyes. "Let me get my shoes—"

"Lia, stay here," he ordered.

"But—"

"No," he said sharply. He didn't have time to mind his tone. "Lia, you need to stay in the room. I mean it."

Merlin was out the door before she could protest anymore. Perhaps he came off as rude, but he didn't care. He knew that it was Mordred he was hearing in his head, leading someone through the castle. Lia had a soft spot for the boy, meaning that he would not let her get involved with whatever was happening. Merlin rushed through the castle as he intercepted more of Mordred's directions.

"Keep going. It's not much further now. Be careful. At the end of the corridor. Morgana's chamber is next."

Merlin immediately stopped when he learned where they were heading. Quickly, he changed his direction and ran towards the ward's room, hoping that she was not in danger. The warning bells sounded, meaning that the guards finally figured out that someone was trespassing. Merlin heard Arthur shouting in the distance and headed to meet him so that he could send the guards to Morgana's chambers.

"What do you mean you lost them? They could be dangerous!" he yelled. Then Merlin came around the corner, startling Arthur. He immediately grabbed him by the throat and shoved him against the wall, thinking he was a threat. He frowned when he saw it was his servant. "Merlin?"

"Morgana's chamber—" Merlin tried to sputter out a response, but Arthur was still choking him.

"Oh, sorry," he muttered, finally letting go.

"Morgana's—" He knelt over to catch his breath. "They're in Morgana's chambers."

| | |

Mordred stood over Morgana's bed, where she was sleeping soundly. He whispered her name once, which was enough to wake her. Morgana spotted him right away and sat up.

"Mordred," she said in disbelief. And then she was hugging him tightly, smiling happily. "I thought I'd never see you again."

"I found the boy wandering in the woods, lost and alone, hunted by Uther's men," the man who accompanied Mordred said. He was standing near the door and watching Morgana carefully.