xii | the fires of idirsholas

"if anything, they'd be jealous that i am the prettiest of all the knights of camelot."

[2.12 — The Fires of Idirsholas]

Only a few days had passed since Alvarr's escape

Only a few days had passed since Alvarr's escape. Things had settled down for the most part, and Morgana hadn't made any more hateful declarations towards Uther — though she still despised him with a fiery passion.

The court was called to the council chambers. A man had come to seek an audience with Uther about some sort of suspicious behavior where he lived. While most everyone was gathered in the council chambers, Lia was absent. She was off visiting a neighboring village that was in need of medical assistance. Sir Leon had accompanied her for protection, though it was unlikely that she'd need it as it was only a day's ride away.

Arthur, as always when she went away, was quite pouty from her absence — he was finally allowed to hold and kiss her and did not want to stop. Though he supposed that as far as excuses go, saving lives was a pretty good one. So, the Prince was thankful that Joseph brought a distraction to the court.

"I'm a herder from the northern plains, Sire," Joseph told Uther. "Three nights back, we were camped beneath the walls of Idirsholas."

"I'm not sure I would've chosen such a place," Uther said, knowing the reputation that Idirsholas had.

"Good pasture is scarce at this time of year, Sire."

"And what is it you have to tell me?" he asked.

"While we were there we - we saw smoke rising from the citadel," Joseph said.

Uther quickly cut his eyes to Gaius, who was frowning. "And did you see anything else?" Gaius asked him.

"No."

"Did you go inside?" Uther asked.

"No. Nobody has stepped over that threshold for three hundred years! You must know the legend, Sire," Joseph said, keeping his head down. Clearly, he was still nervous.

"When the fires of Idirsholas burn, the Knights of Medhir will ride again," Gaius stated.

Uther was unimpressed by the development but nodded in understanding. "See to it this man is fed and has a bed for the night." Once Joseph was escorted out, he turned to Arthur. "Take a ride out there."

"Why?" Arthur asked. He thought the story sounded ridiculous.

"So we can put people's minds at rest."

"Surely this is superstitious nonsense," Arthur said.

"Gather the guard and do as I say," Uther said sharply. Then he quickly left the council chambers.

Once the court was free to leave, Gaius and Merlin headed to the physician chambers. Merlin was puzzled by the King's odd reaction to Joseph's claims.