Chapter 12.

"Mother?"

"Emily." The older Prentiss said, rather dryly.

"Prentiss, can I help you?" Aaron interrupted the two raven haired women, diverting the already tense conversation.

"Uh, coffee, and I just came to say we are back but you seem busy." She placed the coffee down on the desk in front of him, earning a rather discomforting glare from her mother.

"We? Who's we?" Elizabeth asked, stopping her daughter as she walked towards the door.

"I'll talk to you later mother, I have work to do."

The slow creak of the door made everyone in the bullpen stare up, seeing a shocked look possess Emily's face as soon as the deadbolt clicked in. Standing motionless, grip still holding the handle, she let out a breath that she wasn't even aware she was holding in and began walking, collecting every thought terrorising her mind.

"Prentiss, what's wrong?" Morgan shot up from Emily's desk chair, terrified of his partner's face and scared Hotch had done something to hurt her, just as he warned him not to. Protective much.

Emily didn't reply, instead she walked to Leila who sat at Reid's desk doing algebra work that Declan had given her to do for him. At first, the little brunette wasn't aware of where Emily had gone or what was going on, and she wasn't worried until Morgan spoke.

"Come on. Grab your things."

"What? Why?" The 9 year old asked, defensively.

"My mother's here."

"Your mother's here?" Reid, Leila and Morgan said at the same time, all in the same shocked, and almost terrified, tone. Leila began packing, knowing how Emily hadn't told her mother about the child's existence.

"I didn't see her walk in. When did she-"

"I don't know Reid, but right now I need to hide a child from her." Emily said, rushing the little girl out of the bullpen and into JJ's office, dropping half the sheets the 9 year old was working on. "Jayje. Hide her."

"Wha-"

"Just hide her!" Emily snapped, walking back out into the hallway and turned to lead back into the bullpen, only to bump into none other than Erin Strauss. "Uh, sorry!"

"Emily, I heard your mother was here. Any reason?" Strauss asked as she stood up tall and straightened out her usual, grey pantsuit.

"Not that I'm aware of."

"Have you told her-"

"No, and I do not intend to until I'm ready."

"Understood."

They parted and went their separate ways, with Emily leading back into the bullpen and Strauss heading wherever she was going - most likely to shout at someone. Sounds of a distinct oak door creaking back open shot throughout the room, just as Emily arrived back. Reid and Morgan both stood up straight, stopping all actions in favour of the ambassador they were subjugated by. As Emily tried to turn back around and head towards JJ's office, her name was simultaneously called by Hotch and Elizabeth, each in their distinct, intimidating voices.

"Yes?" She said anxiously, turning around and coming into the light, away from the filing cabinets she took shelter behind.

"My office." Hotch stated. Elizabeth turned and walked back in, but Aaron stood, waiting, as Prentiss walked through the bullpen and up the stairs to the familiar office. "I'm sorry." He whispered, as she walked past, in a less formal voice.