Chapter Twenty-One

"Enhanced?" I asked. "What do you mean?"

"Enhanced humans. Stronger, faster, and sometimes smarter. Sometimes they have extra abilities," Natasha said, loading her guns.

"Hydra made them, most of the time," Bruce explained. "But sometimes they're born enhanced. Most people don't like them because they're different, so they band together to cause havoc."

"Suit up, y/n," Steve said.

I rushed to my room and put on my suit. I flared the wings out once and then tucked them back in. I rushed to the hangar where everyone was waiting for me. We got on the jet and travelled to our battleground.

We got out of the quinjet and froze. Hundreds of enhanced were causing chaos. They all wore the same black uniform.

"Call in Scott and Peter. T'Challa as well, if he can make it. We're going to need backup," Steve said.

The enhanced noticed us. They began running at us like a wave. There were quite a few who could fly.

"Sam, Vision, Tony, y/n, you're all aerial," Steve said.

"Yes, sir," I said, before launching skyward.

I attacked the flying enhanced. They weren't very good at aerial battle, but I was thanks to my training with the team. An enhanced punched me in the race and I flipped backwards. I was about to shoot it with my power before it was blasted out of the sky.

"Hey!" I yelled at Tony through the comms. "That one was mine!"

"I handled it for you," Tony said.

"I'll handle you," I muttered.

"Way to make it weird, y/n," Sam said.

"I meant I'll kill him. Get your mind out of the gutter," I growled, punching an enhanced so hard it crashed through a building.

Eventually the only enhanced left were on the ground. I landed on the ground and attacked. I used my magic and my fists.

Ant-man and Spiderman had arrived. They fought against the enhanced tirelessly, but more seemed to be appearing.

"Y/n, we need you! Spiderman's been hit!" Clint called.

"Peter? Is Peter okay?" Tony asked frantically.

"He will be," I assured him before zooming away to find Peter.

Peter was holding his side while Clint covered him. I knelt on the ground beside him. He removed his hands to reveal a deep hole in his side.

"How are you not dead yet?" I asked without thinking.

This is why I wasn't a doctor. I said a lot of things without thinking. Peter whimpered.

"Sorry, Pete. I meant to say, 'you'll be alright,'" I lied.

I placed my hands on the injury and let my magic flow. The magic came crashing out of me, healing the hole in Peter's side. Once I had finished, I swayed a little bit.

"Okay, you can jump back into the fight... whenever," I panted. "I'm just... I'm just gonna lie here for a second."

"Y/n, no, you can't die right now-"

"Calm down, old man," I interrupted Clint. "I'm just... tired. I just need a minute."

"He can't give you a minute if an army of enhanced are attacking the city!" Loki yelled through the comms.

I chuckled breathlessly.

"How are you, Love?" I asked.

Before he could answer, a group of enhanced were facing us.

"Well, shi-"

"Language!" Steve called.

Before the enhanced could do anything, a massive foot crushed them all. I looked up to see Ant-man towering over the buildings.

"Holy shi-"

"What did the Captain just say?" Tony snapped. "No cuss words!"

I laughed and stood up, finally regaining my energy.

"Let's do this," I said to Clint.

I attacked the enhanced, only stopping once they were all dead or unconscious.

"Now we need to check for civilians," Steve said. "Check buildings, alleyways, everything."

I walked down the streets with Natasha and Loki. Eventually we all had to split up. I was walking past a building when I heard a whimper.

"Hello?" I called out.

The door to the building had been ripped off of its hinges. I slowly stepped into the gloomy dark. A light flickered from where it hung down, suspended by only a few cables.

"Is anyone in here?" I called out.

There was another whimper. I lifted my hand above my head and allowed some magic to curl around it. It lit up the room and I became rooted to the spot.

Soldiers surrounded me. They weren't Hydra.

"Military. Come willingly and we won't hurt you."

"I'm an Avenger," I said, my voice shaking slightly. "You can't take me in."

"What's going on?" Steve asked. "Are you alright?"

The soldiers trained their guns on me.

"Someone's trying to kidnap me," I breathed into the comms.

I didn't get anything else out before soldiers shot at me. Tranquilizer darts pierced my side and I lost consciousness.