Roots of Darkness | Part 2

Anakin's eyes flew open. 

His head pounded and his vision was hazy. Then the events of the past few hours hit him. The call, meeting the Son, the premonitions-

The premonitions.

All this time, it was him who would bring nothing but pain and suffering to the galaxy. The galaxy he worked so hard to save. 

He was the one who choked Padmé. 

He was the one who killed the owner of that voice. She'd trusted him. And he betrayed her. 

He was the one who murdered those younglings. 

He was despicable. 

Liquid fire burned in his veins, blinded by a hatred so raw, so powerful, so addicting. He had to make good use of it. He had to make sure nobody got hurt because of him.

The sparkle of flames inside him burned white. 

Yes, Skywalker, use your newfound hatred. Can't you see? The Jedi abandoned you. 

The pieces in his mind finally formed the entire picture. The Jedi must've abandoned me when all I've been is loyal. What else would have turned against them? Screw the Order, they deserve this. 

Anakin got up, eyes blazing. "What is our first task, my ally?"

The Son grinned, an unhinged smile stretching his face. "In order for this partnership to work, my friend, we must start afresh, and to do that, you need to remove any trace of your past... which includes your companions."

He nodded, entranced. "It will be done."

***

Back at the starship, Ahsoka found traces of Anakin's work. He had been working on a loose circuit board before disappearing, taking their speeder with him. That's really unlike him, she thought. Sure, he's brash and thinks more with his lightsaber than with his head, but he'd never leave us without a message. It must have been something dire, I do hope he's alright.

Ahsoka got to work, continuing to repair the loose circuit board her Master had been working on before he'd up and left so abruptly. An hour later, she'd finished hotwiring the circuits and upgraded some parts of the ship that desperately needed attention. Glancing up, she realized that dusk had fallen and the sun was beginning to set. Still no trace of Anakin. Where is Obi-Wan when I need him? He was most likely still resting. After all, the aging Jedi Master was often the one who required more rest than his other two lively companions. With that in mind, Ahsoka went inside to check on the rest of the ship.

***

Rap rap rap.

"Master Kenobi?"

Silence ensued before the door slid open, revealing a weary but alert Obi-Wan Kenobi. "Hello there Ahsoka," he greeted. "Is there anything you need?"

"I'm worried about Anakin, Master," Ahsoka answered honestly. "He was working on the ship before he vanished. He took our speeder and left without leaving a note or us. Do you know where he went?"

"No, I haven't seen him either," Kenobi replied. Anakin was like a brother to him. He didn't know how he would fill the gaping void in his life if Skywalker disappeared.

"I hope he-" Ahsoka's eyes widened. "Did you feel that?"

"Yes, I did... We'd best get ready to fight." Obi-Wan had definitely felt the dark presence. Worse, beneath the smoldering darkness, it felt familiar. He knew that Force Signature.