17 | where do we go?

I skip school, partly to avoid Carter and partly because I think Cater will avoid me too.

I instead end up helping Melody cook lunch and when Carter comes back home, I have to smile at him because Melody's suspicious eyes never leave us. She is a sneaky lady and I know that she won't leave us alone until she finds out our truth.

My mother was like that too once upon a time. Human characteristics are funny. No wonder people waste so much time studying others rather than investing it in themselves.

As I presumed, Carter does avoid me. Forget talking, he never even looks at me until later in the evening when I get ready for Cherry's party (aka the reason for our fight). I wear a white crop top and a purple miniskirt. The outfit is something I picked up when I was at Mom's. It is one of my favorites and I pair it up with my black boots. I leave my hair open and let it fall in soft waves over my shoulders. Putting on a red lipstick and eyeliner, I get ready for the very questionable party. I tuck my phone inside a zipped pocket of the skirt as I get out of the room to find Carter waiting for me in the hall with his eyes on his phone.

He is wearing a black shirt and jeans. His sleeves are folded up to his elbows and a black watch adorns his wrist. Even from afar, he looks deliciously handsome and I take a sharp intake of breath when he looks up from his phone to land his sight on me. He stares at me for a long time and I don't miss the way his Adam's apple bobs when he swallows a gulp.

"Hey..." I say, my fingers fumbling with one another as I wait for him to speak.

His eyes stop scrutinizing me and he diverts his gaze to footsteps that enter the hall. Melody comes in while attempting to tie her apron over her pink dress. When she sees us, she smiles widely.

"Look at you two! You look perfect," she compliments.

I notice a small blush on Carter's cheeks and it makes me smile too even if it is just for a little while.

"We won't be home till late, Melody. Please tell Dad not to worry," Carter says to her.

"Oh, don't worry about him." Melody waves a hand in the air as she finally finishes tying her apron. "He'll be okay. You go and have fun!"

We mutter our goodbyes to her as we step out of the house. Once exposed to the fresh night air of the town, we walk side by side. Not speaking, not looking at each other. The silence soon gets uncomfortable because Carter starts whistling the tune of Shawn Mendes's 'Treat You Better' which I can easily say is aimed towards me to make me feel guilty. I stop abruptly, infuriated by his behavior.

"What's wrong with you? Since when did you become the jealous kind?"

My words make him stop and he turns around to face me.

"Who said I'm jealous? I just like this song."

As if I will ever believe those words. I sigh, looking at my shoes as I cross my arms over my chest.

"Where are we going?"

"To the bus stop. Your boyfriend can pick you up from there."

I look up and find Carter staring at me again. His eyes move down my body before coming back up. My cheeks heat up but I try not to show it.

"There's still time, you know?" His voice is gentle...very convincing if I wasn't in my right mind.

"Time for what?" I ask, swallowing a gulp when he takes a few steps closer until he is looking down at me.

"Time to change your mind." He lifts a hand to tuck a strand of my hair behind my ear. His touch is cold and I want to warm it up so that it doesn't torture him with its iciness. "To go with me instead of him."