𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐨𝐫 𝐇𝐨𝐬𝐭 (𝟖)

Pairings: Not Applicable
Warnings: None
Pronouns: They/Them

——————————

The silence between the three of them grew louder and louder while the suspense was built on top of the quietness. The fact that Austin was taking long pauses between his words didn't help ease any of them. He had just began reading out the name of the person that (Y/n) wanted to keep in the running. They already felt bad for having to eliminate the other person, but the crazy build up made it a lot more nerve-racking.

Once Austin would read out the paper, it was going to be over. Technoblade was sat in his chair, looking as awkward as ever while Niki was slightly pushed forward into her desk with her hands held close to her face, wearing a concerned look in her eyes.

"The person that (Y/n) chose was..." Austin began, leaving another long pause between his words.

So it all came down to this, huh? After multiple previous rounds and having fun with their friends for the past few hours, who knew that it would lead to this? Well, everybody did. That's sort of the point of the game. But they had some fun, right? It was nice interacting with Tommy and Tubbo, and the group shared a lot of laughs. Aside from the fact that they were made to eliminate a person every time, it was really fun to be on this show.

"...Technoblade!" Austin announced proudly.

"Huh?" Technoblade immediately sat up in his chair, as if he was shocked to hear his name being called out rather than Niki's.

Nihachu smiled in their direction and reclined back in her seat, exhaling deeply. She was finally relieved from the suspense, not in the way that she had hoped, but she was free nonetheless.

"Congratulations, Techno!" Niki smiled at her friend, who responded with another awkward glance.

"Thank you, Niki." He replied kindly.

"I'm sure you and (Y/n) will have a great first date!" She reassured him with a heartwarming grace to the atmosphere.

"Yeah," he chuckled lowly. "Yeah..."

"Okay, Niki," Austin called her name, grabbing her attention almost immediately. "Any last words before you go?"

Niki looked over to (Y/n)'s side of the screen and exchanged glances with them before smirking.

"It's been nice talking with you, (Y/n/n)."

"Same with you." They replied coolly.

Nihachu looked towards Techno's and (Y/n)'s side's of the screen, waving one final hand before her screen had disappeared. The box that Niki's facecam resided in had disappeared, along with her. Now the only people left on the screen were Technoblade and (Y/n).

"You know, I didn't think you'd actually choose me..." Techno murmured quietly, scratching the back of his neck.

"Why wouldn't I?" They began. "Your little speech was very motivating."

"Motivatin' for what?"

"I don't know," they shrugged plainly, casting their view away from Technoblade for a second. "Myself?" Technoblade shot them an awkward glance, which had seen to fly right above (Y/n)'s head. "Your speech just felt so sincere. I've never seen this side of you before..."

"Oh, I'm sure you have seen that side of me before." Technoblade chortled. "It may have just gone below your radar."

"Either way, I think your words were very kind." They held their hand to their chest. "They'll always have a special place in my heart."

"That's very nice to know..." He hummed slowly.

"Now," Austin began a sentence, notifying the two of them as their heads shot back towards their computer screens. "Before we continue, would you like to know what Technoblade chose?"

"Oh, yeah, I forgot about that bit." (Y/n) giggled lightly, pulling their head back into the game. "I guess I was just a bit caught up in Techno's words." They fluttered their eyes.

"I think you might wanna take a step back before you say anything else..." Austin warned heavily, causing (Y/n) to arch their brow at their screen.

"Huh?" They hummed. "What do you mean?"

"Well, it's just that..." Austin pulled an awkward frown as he caught Techno widen his eyes and look down at the floor so he could not catch (Y/n)'s eyes when Austin said this. Austin caught Technoblade's nervous look and chuckled.

"What-?" (Y/n) repeated again when the silence had gotten too loud for them.

"Uh..." He paused. "Technoblade picked host."

(Y/n) shot their surprised expression over to Technoblade, who just lazily pulled up their head to give (Y/n) an awkward smile. (Y/n) couldn't tell if it was more appropriate to be upset at that moment or just laugh.

"You did..?" They trailed off leisurely, their smile reluctantly fading from their face.

"Yep." He sighed deeply. "Sorry, clout comes first." He laughed.

"So... All of those things that you said... Were they not true?" (Y/n) queried curiously, still wearing that shocked complexion in their eyes.

"Well, some of it was." He shrugged. "Like the part of me not expecting to win this. I'm surprised I even got far enough to announce that I had hosted you." He tensed his shoulders, gnawing at the inside of his cheek.

"But... You said Austin swayed you... You said I was your best friend..." (Y/n) pulled an exaggerated frown.

"Oh, you are my best friend." He replied.

"And?" (Y/n) tilted their head, expecting him to continue, which he didn't, to their surprise.

"And nothing." He replied in a cool tone.

"Oh..."

"You are my best friend, (Y/n)." He continued. "And that's what you'll remain. I love playin' skywars with you and stuff, but datin' is just not my area." He snickered.

"Well... I'm less mad now." They smiled, rolling their eyes.

"Yeah. That speech was just the english major in me shining through."

"I could tell."

"How have you felt about this whole show, (Y/n)?" Austin asked them before it got too awkward between the two of them.

"It's been great, actually. Not as bad as I thought it'd be."

"You're not upset about Technoblade hosting you?" He hummed. (Y/n) replied by tilting their head foreword, laughing quietly to themself.

"Not as upset as I thought it'd be."