Episode 43: Fireworks (Epilogue)

"No, Sophie," Biana said firmly, taking both of her hands gently. "You are not allowed to touch your face."

"I know," Sophie sighed dramatically. "But there's an itch-"

"No exceptions! Wait for it to go away," Biana ordered, ignoring Sophie's scowl as she turned back to the mirror. "I need to finish your makeup, and you cannot smear any. Not today."

Sophie grumbled under her breath halfheartedly, but she let Biana gently dab her cheeks with some kind of blush and apply mascara with expert twitches of her fingers.

"There!" Her friend beamed, finally stepping away and brushing her hands today in satisfaction. "I did a great job, if I do say so myself."

Sophie rolled her eyes, but she turned toward the mirror.

It was suddenly hard to swallow as she saw what her best friend had done.

She was hardly wearing much at all, due to her strict restrictions that she'd made Biana follow, but her friend had worked inside her limits, and managed to both enhance and keep her face the same.

She looked... vibrant. Passionate.

Happy.

"You look..." Biana's voice trailed off, and she swiped a finger underneath her own eyelashes. Sophie moved to do the same, but she caught her hand. "You look awesome, but no touching."

Sophie smiled, and Biana matched her grin.

"I'm so happy for you," the youngest Vacker said softly, looking like she was resisting the urge to throw her arms around the blonde.

"Thanks, Bee," Sophie answered, trying her hardest to stop tears from leaving her eyes and messing up the makeup her friend had worked so hard on. "I am, too."

Biana gave a little sniff and a smile, before clearing her throat and smoothing down her own skirt. "Edaline is waiting for you, she wants to do your hair."

Sophie nodded, trying to clear the tears from her eyes as she smiled at Biana, letting her thanks show through her eyes. Biana nodded and slid out the door, somehow walking smoothly with towering heels.

Sophie blinked, and then Edaline was in front of her, covering her mouth with her hands as she stared at her daughter.

"Mom," Sophie started, but Edaline waved her off, fanning her face with both hands.

"I know, I know. I'm not going to cry, I promise. It's just... seeing you in that dress with your makeup just reminds me-"

"I know, Mom."

Edaline smiled, sniffing once before clearing her throat and gesturing for Sophie to turn around. The telepath obliged, turning to the mirror as Edaline's fingers began working through her long blond locks, gently pulling at her scalp.

Sophie was suddenly struck by a wave of deja vu, remembering when Jolie had sat in this same chair, and Edaline had done her hair and makeup. When Sophie had stepped into the room to see her sister in that lavender dress that made her look like she was a living flame.

How long ago, that seemed.

How long ago that was, Sophie reminded herself. It had been almost fifteen years since that day, and even though that wasn't long in elven years, she was still young enough that it seemed like ages to her. Even though she remembered it perfectly.

Edaline's fingers paused and withdrew from her hair, and her mother stepped back, handing Sophie a mirror so she could see the back of her head.

"Oh, Mom," she whispered, her eyes stuck on the slightly curled locks. "It's beautiful."