035. The Plunge

Part One / Chapter Thirty-Five

CAREER ADVICE
All fifth years will be required to attend a short meeting with their Head of House during the first week of the Summer term, in which they will be given the opportunity to discuss their future careers. Times of individual appointments are listed below.

Venus looked down the list and found that she was expected in Professor McGonagall's office at half-past six on Monday, which would mean missing most of Potions. She and the other fifth years spent a considerable part of the final weekend of the Easter break reading all the career information that had been left there for their perusal.

"Well, I don't fancy Healing," said Ron on the Monday of Venus' meeting with McGonagall. He was immersed in a leaflet that carried the crossed bone-and-wand emblem of St. Mungo's on its front.

"It says here you need at least an E at N.E.W.T. level in Potions, Herbology, Transfiguration, Charms, and Defense Against the Dark Arts. I mean . . . blimey. . . . Don't want much, do they?"

"Well, it's a very responsible job, isn't it?" said Hermione absently. She was poring over a bright pink-and-orange leaflet that was headed so you think you'd like to work in muggle relations?

"You don't seem to need many qualifications to liaise with Muggles. . . . All they want is an O.W.L. in Muggle Studies. . . . 'Much more important is your enthusiasm, patience, and a good sense of fun!' "

Constance eyed the brochure in fascination and began reading it with Hermione.

"I have enthusiasm!" she said excitedly to Venus and Hermione.

"You'd need more than a good sense of fun to liaise with my uncle," said Harry darkly. "Good sense of when to duck, more like . . ." He was halfway through a pamphlet on Wizard banking. "Listen to this:

" 'Are you seeking a challenging career involving travel, adventure, and substantial, danger-related treasure bonuses? Then consider a position with Gringotts Wizarding Bank, who are currently recruiting Curse-Breakers for thrilling opportunities abroad. . . .' They want Arithmancy, though. . . . You could do it, Hermione!"

"I don't much fancy banking," said Hermione vaguely, now immersed in have you got what it takes to train security trolls?

Venus looked down at her watch, to her horror, she had only ten minutes until her meeting with Professor McGonagall.

"I have to get to my meeting," Venus informed, dropping the pamphlet about Aurors from her hands. "Wish me luck."

Venus had already been out the Great Hall doors, missing her friends distant good lucks's. She entered McGonagall's chambers and looked around. Professor Umbridge was sitting there, a clipboard on her knee, a fussy little pie-frill around her neck, and a small, horribly smug smile on her face.