Chapter 26 -Calm

"The calm before the storm."

-Derek Landy

-

Trevor's POV

I opened the door to my room and the sight that welcomed me nearly made my heart jump out of my rib cage.

Alana was holding the box where the necklace for her was.

As soon as Alana saw me, she was so afraid that she nearly dropped the box. She started to panic in that spot as she frantically tried to think of what to do. She hurriedly placed the box on my table and collected my coat she somehow insisted needed to be dry cleaned and started to walk out of the room.

While she was walking out, Alana just had to ask, "That's a nice box you've got there. What's inside?"

Why...

How could I answer that? Should I tell her now?

No...It has to be more natural than this weird situation...

Come on Trevor think of something to cover this up...

"Well...It's a present for a special someone," I hinted, hoping she would catch on and sort of realise before I actually confess.

Instead of a flushed face I was looking forward to, a look of curiosity was painted on her face.

Oh Snowflake, you're too innocent.

This whole situation made me smile inside. I only could imagine right now much she would love this present.

I expected her to pry more into the situation, which would totally make me crack all the eggshells I've been walking on, but to my relief she let it go and went downstairs.

I can't wait for the perfect time to confess.

-

Alana's POV

Tomorrow is RiverFord's Ball.

My father was arranging this ball purely to see me.

That was the hidden intention.

I knew it.

I was no where near ready. I have nothing to report to my father regarding the whole plan. I knew I had to find the key that opened that drawer in Trevor's study but I couldn't bring myself to go find the key.

It was heart-wrenching to just think of hurting him but at the same time I didn't want myself to get hurt.

I just closed my eyes, praying that time would stop tonight.

-

I slowly changed into my gown that Trevor had bought for me. It was a white mermaid dress with laces near the end of the dress. It was supposed to accentuate my curves but those were non-existent. I was underweight so I was more of a lanky stick that what a body in a mermaid dress was supposed to look like.

For the first time in my life, I was insecure of my body and it was not because of my father messing me up but because Trevor was going to see me in this dress the second I step out.

I could see his feet outside my room door, waiting for me to just open the door.

I mustered up the courage to just open the door because it definitely beats Trevor walking in on me panicking.

As soon as Trevor made eye contact with me, he smiled.

He scanned my entire outfit and it made me feel so jittery inside. He was looking at me with those shining eyes but an inner voice kept telling me he was judging me.