Chapter 6

"I'm not going anywhere," the black-haired boy sighed, a small smile playing on his lips.

"Me neither," Albert chimed in.

"Thanks guys," I grinned. "Now, let's get you boys cleaned up."

"I can clean myself," Albert chuckled.

"Me too," Elmer decided, his voice playful and kind of babyish.

"C'mon! I wanna help!" I giggled.

Elmer threw his hands up, "fine!"

"I'm doing myself," Albert grinned, shooting me the same look from earlier.

"C'mon," I showed them up to the second floor, sending Albert down the hall to the bathroom to wash his face. I took a cloth from under the kitchen sink, wet it down, and rung it out. "Hold still." Elmer nodded, closing his eyes like a little kid getting a shot.

I slowly slid the damp cloth across his face, leaning a little closer to him than I had originally intended. "OoO!" Albert snickered, causing Elmer to open his eyes. My face immediately turned bright pink as I jumped back.

"There...all done," I managed, watching Elmer's face grow red as well.

"You guys are to die for," Albert joked, pulling his hat off and running his hand through his bright red hair, refastening his grey cap on his head.

"Shut up," I laughed, tossing an apple at him. To my surprise, the boy caught it and tossed it at Elmer who then held it above his head as I tried to get it back. "Hey! No fair!" I giggled, jumping up and down until a round of coughing hit.

Both boys immediately stopped playing, expressions turning to serious looks and concern. Elmer ended up picking me up bridal style and placing me on the couch. "I'm fine," I rasped, clearly the opposite.

"Nu uh," Elmer decided, sitting beside me.

"Ya, you ain't fine," Albert agreed, placing himself beside the dark-eyed boy.

"I'm fine," I stated again, voice a small bit stronger than before.

"Take a break," Elmer decided, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and pulling me toward him. I yawned, closing my eyes.

"Just to be clear, I don't want you guys to treat me any different than before you knew I have cancer," I sighed drowsily.

"Okay," Elmer yawned right before my mind faded to black as I slipped into a sleep-state. I woke up to Elmer's head on mine and Albert leaning over the side of the couch, both asleep and snoring lightly.

(A/N: First, when I said 'take a break', my brain decided to go to Hamilton. Second, I just realized I made Elmer more mature than he's portrayed in the musical. Anyone else think so? Do any of you think I should make him more childish? I need help. Okay, I'm gonna stop talking now. Byee!)

All the lights were off except the kitchen light and Momma was quietly talking with Dad. "It's too late to send them back."

"Should we just leave them like that?" Dad asked.

"Yeah," Momma sighed. They shut off the kitchen light and left. I started to stand, only to be pulled back down by Elmer.

"Don't go," he muttered, brows furrowed.

"Okay," I whispered.

"Anthony, go away!" He hissed suddenly, his grip on my waist tightening.

"Elmer," I breathed, gently shaking him. He didn't wake up, just kept yelling random names and sayings.

"You can't have her!" He growled, pulling me closer.

"Elmer!" I hissed, whacking his hands in hopes he'd wake up.

"Hm?" He moaned, eyes opening a bit. I pointed at his arm, "oh, sorry." He removed his arm and the warmth it provided. I sighed, settling into his shoulder and returning to sleep.

Momma gently shook me awake. I was alone on the couch, both boys had apparently left about an hour earlier. Warm, honey colored sunlight filtered into to the room as the smell of Dad's award-winning waffles wafted through the room to my nose. I shot up, moving with a grace and swiftness that most people could only wish they had. In one fluid motion, I had a plate full of waffles and was back on the couch shoveling food into my mouth.

"Can I do at least a little bit of work today?" I asked through mouthfuls. Momma and Dad exchanged a few looks before agreeing to it.

"It's supposed to snow tomorrow," Dad sighed, sad eyes falling on my dying body.

I rolled my eyes, "Dad, I'll be fine."

"Okay, well, the boys are coming over again tonight before closing," Momma said.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because it's out anniversary and we don't want you watching your brother alone," Momma explained.

"Okay," I grinned, heading downstairs to open. Business was slow today, and before I knew it, the sky was already darkening. Elmer and Albert showed up as well, the bruises from the other night more visible.

"Hi," Elmer smiled, giving me a quick hug.

"Hey," Albert yawned, dark circles under his eyes.

"Tired?" I chuckled, showing them upstairs.

"You know the drill," Momma smiled, kissing Dad. I playfully gagged, causing both my parents to roll their eyes.

"Ewww!" Patrick yelled, jumping on the couch.

"Pat, please quit jumping on the couch," I sighed, picking up the five-year-old.

"No!" He whined, immediately starting to cry.

"Give him here?" Elmer suggested, holding his hand out.

"I see you've got this under control, we're gonna head out," Dad laughed, following Momma out.

"Have fun!" I called after them, Pat wiggling free of my grip. "Pat!"

My younger brother giggled, running around and bumping into the furniture. I sighed, chasing after him. In an effort to catch him, I huddled over the couch, only managing to land face first on Elmer. Both of us fell over, me on top of him. I blinked wildly, eyes widening and face getting hot. His dark eyes searched mine as his face reddened.