Episode 4 - The Tournament Begins

"You'll each be shown to your rooms."

As soon as the word's leave Clouse's mouth, girls wearing abstract face paint burst into the room.

"Just what this place needs," Jay says bitterly. "Creepy clowns."

"Not clowns," Dad replies. "Kabuki, Chen's jesters."

A Kabuki stops infront of each of us, there's a Kabuki for everyone except Dad. My Kabuki grabs onto my arm aggressively, earning a low growl. Her eyes flash nervously, but she does not let go.

"Yeah, well, whatever they are, I don't like them," Cole says, leaning away from his Kabuki.

The Kabuki pulls us in a circle before dragging us up the stairs.

"So much for staying together," Kai grumbles.

"Always be ready," Dad calls up to us. "Never lose focus."

"What, what did he say?" Kai yells.

"I don't know, something about mucus?" Jay replies.

I roll my eyes and stop struggling against my Kabuki. She leads me up to the topmost floor stopping outside the door with an energy crest on it. She opens the door and ushers me inside the room.

It's large, larger than any room I've ever slept in, with pale purple walls, white wood floors, and a queen sized bed with purple bed sheets. There's a punching bag in one corner and a bulls eye in the other. I spot a plastic bow and arrow laying under the bulls eye and frown. They couldn't've given me a real one?

"You will find an outfit waiting for you in the bathroom," says the Kabuki. She bows her head and leaves, shutting the door behind her.

As I venture further into the room, I spot a picture sitting on the bed-side table. After inspecting it further, I realize that it's a picture of Kai and I; His arms are wrapped around my waist, his face buried in my hair as he presses a kiss against my temple. My blue eyes shine bright as I grip his hands, grinning from ear to ear. We were so happy. My throat starts to close up and water begins to blur my vision. I take the picture, walking determinedly into the bathroom, and throw it in the trash.

Hanging over the shower is the outfit I'm supposed to wear. It doesn't look anything like what I usually wear, it's a magenta shade of purple and it doesn't have any sleeves. I stare at it for a moment more, then put it on.

This shade of purple is definitely not my color. My hair looks almost white against it, though my eyes do look extra blue. I kind of like the no sleeve look because it shows off the muscle's I've worked so hard to build. I do not, however, like how low cut the shirt is. The horse shoe neckline shows far too much cleavage for my liking, and the top ends just above my belly button. Normally, I wouldn't mind an outfit such as this, but the fact that Chen picked it out for me doesn't sit right. It almost feels invasive. And don't even get me started on how tight these unflatteringly low cut pants are. Worst thing about this entire outfit: it doesn't conceal my daggers, so now I'm stuck finding a new way to hide them.

Suddenly, music starts blasting through the intercom, followed by Chen's obnoxious voice. "Fellow fighters, hidden around my island are enough Jadeblades for every participant except for one. The one who returns to the palace arena empty-handed looses. The tournament begins . . . now! May the best fighter win!"

My bedroom door suddenly bursts open. I set my sweat shirt and jeans delicately over the sink and pick up my daggers, creeping around the corner of the bathroom door. Inside my room, I see Karlof stomping around, completely metallicized.

"Come out, come out, pretty ninja. Karlof need blade and you have one."

I furrow my eyebrows, but then I spot it. A jade blade sits on the edge of my balcony. Karlof sees it too, he starts to walk towards it.