Chapter 2 - His Aura

Dev didn't go to his office in the morning, as he had to attend a business conference in a hotel. After the conference, he reached his office almost at lunchtime. It's a huge thirty-story building, all curtain walls, an epitome of architect's excellence, with Dev Group of companies written in bold golden letters. It was quarter to one when he arrived.

As he walked in the corridor, all his employees greeted him in the middle, but he didn't greet them back, not even a smile or nod. The wind carried the aura of his name and made everyone tremble in fear. He walked like an arrogant lion, and Anu was on the way to her friend Riya's cabin on the twenty-fifth floor, who happened to be the personal assistant of Dev. Anu was carrying her lunch box and came to this floor for having lunch with her friend. She joined this company through Riya's reference a month back. Her cabin is on the tenth floor.

Everyone was in an alert mode and greeting their boss, and this sudden change in the environment made Anu turn towards the direction. There he came in his dark grey suit, white shirt, and grey tie. Because of the sudden commotion, she was puzzled and stood without knowing what to do. All the employees moved out of his way as he strode in, his movements powerful and confident. But Anu stood there motionless clumsily with a lunch box in her hands. As he felt odd, he looked at her. His eyes were intense yet cold, almost ready to glower at any soul on his way. Her legs became numb and her palms started sweating. With one look, she dropped her tiffin box on the floor. The food spilled everywhere on the corridor. In fear she closed her eyes, the security guards rushed towards her.

"Clean up this mess" - Dev commanded his guards and entered his cabin. The guards almost peed in their pants. Even if anyone causes such a scene, the guards are the ones to blame for letting them on his way. They thanked all the Gods in the world for saving them from his outburst.

Fear pounded in Anu's heart, she could barely breathe, and she rushed into her friend Riya's cabin and released the breath she was holding.

"Anu, what on earth happened to you?" - Riya screamed at the top of her lungs.

"Just, I didn't expect his sudden entry; Riya, is he the boss, will he dismiss me?"

"Lucky you, he didn't enquire about you. Don't stay here; you better return to your cabin, we will talk in the evening, okay"

"Okay, okay, see you then"

"Wait Anu, take my lunch box, you spilled everything" - Riya offered.

"No dear, you eat, I can manage"

Anu rushed to her floor in the common elevator. She cannot lose this job; this is the only source of income for their family.

Anuradha alias Anu, the eldest daughter in her family. Everything was normal in their family till a few months back. But when her father was diagnosed with kidney failure, the family got devastated. Earlier, one of his kidneys was damaged, and he was getting treatment. Later, the second kidney also got damaged, and he is in dialysis now. During his initial stages, he used to be a chain-smoker, which resulted in uncontrolled high blood pressure, which in turn damaged his kidneys. He became bedridden and stopped working. Anu just entered her final year in college at that time. The family became helpless, and Anu left her studies and searched for a job to pay off their bills.

Though his father Mohan got some settlement funds from his company, the treatment expenses put a curb on their hands. With zero choices, Anu had to leave her studies. Riya is a good friend of hers, and they reside in the same neighborhood. She is three years older than Anu. After her studies she worked somewhere and later she got this job in Dev group of companies last year. She knew everything about Anu's family condition and thought of helping her. Though Anu didn't complete her degree in accounts, Riya managed to recommend her resume in their HR department. As she didn't complete her degree, she was offered a trainee job in the accounts section. Anu felt very thankful for Riya. That was a timely help for their family, and she thought, she can continue her studies, once they get stabled. Anu has a brother who is fifteen years old and he is attending school. Her mother Seetha is a home-maker.

Doctors advised a kidney transplant for her father Mohan. Anu's kidney may suit her father, but he rejected the idea, as she is very young and has to live her life.

"I am already dying, don't spoil your health, you have to lead a happy married life in the future." - was his statement.

They can't afford the expenses to get a kidney donation. Her mother's kidney doesn't suit him. They were in their bad days and leading their life. No company would give her a job. She managed to attend the interview well, and her grades helped her to grab this job. If she losses her job now, it is a doubt only whether she will get a job in near future. This thought panicked her.

Today Dev was in a disturbed mood after his discussion with his Mom. So he didn't react when she saw the mess created by Anu. When he was in his train of thoughts, Mugil's voice interrupted him.

"Hi bro, in deep thoughts?"

"Hi, Mugil"

"Nothing, Mom didn't agree to that Marriage deal"

"That's music to my ears, Mom did the right thing"

"C'mon bro, you too?"

"Dev, this is marriage for God's sake"

"Whatever, I don't know, how to inform Mr.Arjun"

"Leave it to me, I will happily deal with that" - saying that he was about to leave, but Dev stopped him.

"Mugil, you wanna join me for the party tonight at the Bar?"

"No Dev, you knew my answer already, then why you are wasting your time"

"Change buddy, office, home, office, isn't it boring, come outside man so vibrant you see"

"I know your vibrant world, full of smoke and disgusting girls" - Mugil mocked.

"Hey, they are the No.1 models in the industry, you know"

"Whoa, you and your models don't drag me in this" - he replied and returned to his cabin.

Dev smiled at his friend. They were like opposite poles. Dev will be an arrogant businessman in the daytime and will become a complete casanova at night. He will change his girlfriend every week. He doesn't believe in a serious relationship, and he likes to enjoy the world with no strings attached.

On the contrary, Mugil is a complete geek. He always wishes good things to his friend. Though he had other options, after his studies, he partnered with Dev in his business. He always keeps a low profile, and not like his friend who lives in dreams to achieve great heights. He is a working partner for Dev in some of his businesses, but he restricted himself by not involving in all of his friend's ventures. Mugil is like a second son to Dev's Mom Sarada. She used to wish that Dev should be considerate like Mugil.