Chapter 3 - When it rains it pours

Dev's company hosted a meeting with the clients regarding the annual outcomes. There was a presentation in the seminar hall, and Dev was also there. The Accounts manager presented the facts and figures. Even though he checked the presentation beforehand, there was an error, which misinterpreted one million as ten thousand. Though he managed at that moment, Dev was not happy with that. He commanded the accounts head to meet him in person after the meeting.

"Who the hell prepared the presentation?"

"Sorry Sir, this won't happen again, our new assistant lacks experience, and she is a trainee."

"Then why are we recruiting such a person; dismiss her."

"Dismiss her right away, and we don't want inefficient people here" - he further added.

"Sir, but.."

"No ifs and buts, do what I say, or go along with her"

"Yes sir" - he surrendered. Though his mistake was also there in the presentation, he kept mum. He had heard that Dev could make anyone disappear without address, and that thought enough terrified him.

Anu was that poor assistant who got fired. Though she escaped from yesterday's event, today the bad luck knocked on her door again. She was informed about the dismissal. She felt her world crumble. She rushed towards her friend Riya and explained her situation. Riya felt very sorry for her, as she cannot help her in this context.

"Look Anu, no one dare to speak with him; he is so full of himself, the only thing I can do is to let you inside for a talk after getting permission from him" - Riya said with a sad face.

"Okay, at least I can try." - Anu sighed.

It took Riya the whole day to get a slot for Anu. Earlier, Riya informed Dev that one of our employees wants to talk with him, but she didn't mention the dismissal part. Though Riya reminded him twice, he didn't respond to her. At last, by the office closing time

"Riya, you told me that someone is waiting" - Dev questioned.

"Yes Sir, can I call her inside" - Riya said in relief.

"Okay, but only five minutes" - he gave permission.

Riya informed Anu immediately and without wasting time, Anu knocked on his door

"May I come in, Sir?"

"Come in" - there came his commanding voice.

Anu tried to calm herself down and rushed inside the door. She couldn't explain anything, after seeing his arrogant and powerful posture; she stayed frozen on her spot. Riya had informed her earlier that he had a rage that would chill the bones of people. Anu felt those words two hundred percent correct.

"Why are you here?" - he asked without taking his eyes off the laptop he was working on.

"I..I..." - she stammered.

Dev stopped working and suddenly glanced at her. Anu felt that powerful eyes could bore her.

Gulping down, she said in a feeble voice

"Sir, I am sorry for the confusion that happened earlier in the meeting today. I am the new assistant whom you dismissed this morning. Don't-dismiss-me" - she said quickly.

"Careful what you say"

"Sir, this job is important to me. Please, don't dismiss me" - she pleaded with her eyes.

There is no such word called second chance in Dev's dictionary. But her pleading eyes made him think. But his ego didn't allow him to accept her apology. So he tried to find a strong reason for her dismissal.

"What's your name?" - he questioned

"Anuradha Mohan" - she lifted her head to meet his gaze.

Dev searched the profile of employees and analyzed her details.

"So you are a college dropout, that's why the poor efficiency, I don't know how our HR department is recruiting such people. I have to give them serious instructions now onwards" - he said himself rather than speak with her.

He raked his fingers through his dark hair and continued

"Sorry Miss. Anuradha, you aren't qualified enough to work at Dev Group of companies" - he said flatly.

His words pierced her heart like a knife, but she composed herself and requested again with a trembling voice,

"Sir, I promise this won't happen again"

"Are you going to cry? I hate crying women, who aren't strong enough to do anything correctly, see yourself out Miss" - he said and continued his work.

Anu felt like crying, but her sanity made her rush out from the room. Riya felt very pity for her.

"Sorry Anu, he is a jerk; what are you going to do now?" - Riya inquired with true concern.

"I don't know Riya, who will give a job for a person like me?" - she almost cried.

Riya thought of her contacts to find some job for Anu, but nothing seems useful. Thinking for a while, she suggested,

"Anu, if you wish, you just go and meet Sarada Madam, our Boss's mother. I had heard that she is a kind woman who helps a lot. The last time when the union problem came, she was the one who solved the issue. They are having so many companies at least she can give reference to some other jobs under their firm."

"I can do anything, and I feel nothing wrong in meeting her but, where can I meet her?" - Anu gave a puzzled look.

"Obviously at her home" - Riya replied coolly.

"What. How can I go to his house?"

"That's easy dear, tomorrow by nine this Devil will be here, you give me a call, and after confirming, you go to their house. Sounds good right?"

"Okay" - Anu replied feebly.

"Cheer up girl, that Madam would help, I know" - Riya tried to lift her mood.

Unwillingly Anu agreed to her idea, though she felt bad about visiting his house, her father's medical treatment was the only thing that came to her mind.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

[ A/N ]

Poor Anu, What do you think? If you like the chapter, please click the star button and vote for the chapter.